Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Disk Read Error Has Occured. select Ctrl Alt and Delete.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ssindreb

ssindreb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

when i start up my sisters computer i get the disk read error. with ctrl alt and delete to restart. i do this and it goes over and over and over again. what shoud i do?!! if i can restart it to normal i get to own the computer. please help!!!!!!! if there is anything you need to kow i will gladly tell. it is an acer aspire. i can not get it in safe mode because the error pops up! i am not an expert in computing, and not a noob. i am a medium. than you for answering. acer aspire 5750G, windows 7. the computer has been overheated alot, sp it turns ooff pretty quickly!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hi, ssindreb. And welcome.
After pushing the power button, hold down ALT and intermittently tap F-10. This "should" give an option to return the lappy to factory condition.
If no joy, come on back.... :wink:

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Hello ssindreb,

Is the Acer still under warranty? If it is, that's your answer. In the mean time, I'd make sure it was operating on a cooling pad to help reduce internal temperatures.

If you can get into BIOS Setup, you might try selecting "Default or Safe BIOS settings," save and exit Bios, then reboot. Any change? If not, then test your hard drive.

Test the hard drive using the manufacturer's diagnostic utility:
Go to this link and download the Diagnostic Test software for your hard drive:http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm. If you don't know the hard drive manufacturer, try using SeaTools for DOS.
  • Download the DOS version and install onto a floppy disk or burn the "Iso" image to a CD.
  • Can't burn an "Iso" image? Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the folder icon to the right and select "iso" file location.
Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)

Run the short test first and then the extended test. Any reported errors should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users