Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system boots only some of the time

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gvoller

gvoller

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

I have spent many hours searching the web for a solution to my issue. Google usually helps me solve any computer issue, but this one is stumping me.

My system boots up only periodically. Sometimes it will boot right up when I press the power button. Other times, the fans and drives spin up as if the system is booting, but the P.O.S.T. never occurs.

When the computer does not POST, sometimes the screen is blank (i.e. monitor is on, but no signal) and stays that way. When the screen is blank, sometimes pressing a key or opening the CD-ROM drive brings up a plain black screen (a la DOS) with a blinking underscore cursor. Other times, after a certain period of time (usually 10-20 minutes) at the blank screen, the computer will POST and the system boots. However, on more than one occasion, I have left the system on for more than 20 minutes with no POST; I get frustrated and power the machine down.

Previously (before 2 days ago), when the system did POST, I would hear 1 short beep and then the system booted. Since 2 days ago, I hear 2 short beeps if the system POSTs (memory error if I am reading documentation correctly).

Searches have yielded several possibilities: faulty PSU, faulty RAM modules, faulty mobo, etc. I took out all the RAM modules and tested them individually in all 4 mobo slots. I ran memtest86+ on these modules and they passed with no errors. Other than the hard drives, these components are only a few months old. I hope they are not faulty.

The strange part is this system was doing the same thing a few months ago before it was upgraded. I never found a solution and the hardware was a bit outdated, so I decided to upgrade the components (literally, everything but the hard drives, which I completely wiped after the upgrade; and I re-used the CPU fan) in the hopes that it would fix the problem. Guess not!

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I want to be thorough and solve this issue. Any help is much appreciated.

System info:

Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot
Biostar A870U3 AM3 Motherboard
3.4Ghz AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black AM3
ZALMAN CNPS 9500 AM2 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin DDR3 unbuffered - non-ECC
Corsair 750W CMPSU-750AX
2GB Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 DDR5
2x 350GB Western Digital SATA drives
Acer S243HLBMII 24" LED monitor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic