Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP 2012 virus then computer will not boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#16 johnpsyc

johnpsyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

All files sent except for c:\documents and settings\John\Application Data\AVG\Rescue\PC Tuneup 2011\101205111314781.rsc

I can see the file in windows explorer, but the folder "Application Data' does not show in the open dialogue box when I click on Browse.

Also, I'm assuming that the iPod file is the correct one. The one I sent had an Apple icon rather than the usual plain box icon. In the folder 'iPodService.Resources' there a a number of additional folders. I didn't look in them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

Yes. The file submitted also looks clean, so I assume these are false positives.

How is the computer doing?

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#18 johnpsyc

johnpsyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:09 AM

Seems ok. boots well and runs fast enough and no pop ups.

any idea why the original problem with the blue screen and not starting happened?

Do you suggest any virus security program over others? I was using MIcrosoft Essentials. Also, can/should I use a malware program with the virus protection program?

#19 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

I would recommend AVAST as an antivirus and malwarebytes pro edition. When installing AVAST, register, update and perform a full scan.

In your case seems Microsoft Security Essentials removed a registry key that you were able to restore under the Last Configuration. The type of infection your computer had however, always behave unexpectedly.

Rename Combofix to Uninstall and click on it. That should remove the application and its quarantine.

Manually remove any other tool used during this session.

Let me know the outcome after running AVAST.

Edited by JSntgRvr, 11 December 2011 - 03:54 PM.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#20 johnpsyc

johnpsyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Interesting: when I installed AVAST I got an error message that said The path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Allusers\ApplicationData\MFAData\pack\vc_red.msi' cannot be found.

The program continued with the install. trial version is only 30 days. Is it worth the money to purchase a 2 year deal?

Full scan complete. No threats found.

#21 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

Interesting: when I installed AVAST I got an error message that said The path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Allusers\ApplicationData\MFAData\pack\vc_red.msi' cannot be found.

The program continued with the install. trial version is only 30 days. Is it worth the money to purchase a 2 year deal?

Full scan complete. No threats found.

AVAST is free, unless you want the extras. This version is good as long as you observe good practices in the internet. In my case it blocks anything known that may affect my computer. After the trial period you may select the free license.

btn_donate_SM.gif

#22 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,698 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:06 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users