Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice please - upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading our Dell Studio laptop from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit. It's only going to be about £60 for the upgrade as I'm doing it through a student discount for my son. It is mainly for use by him and other family members for school projects, emails, browsing, DVDs etc. I'm not really that sure of the difference between 32- and 64-bit versions… I'm only going for the 64-bit one as that's what we've got on a desktop I built, and I thought it would be better for compatibility if they were the same. I am also upgrading so we can run a HomeGroup between the computers, and so that the kids can get used to the same OS on both computers.

I have checked through the system info on the laptop control panel, and the system we have at present is capable of running 64-bit. My basic system properties are shown below. Is there anything obvious that would be worth changing at the same time as the upgrade? ... and are there any pitfalls with an upgrade to W7 64-bit that I should be aware of?

Intel Core 2 Duo T6400@2GHz
RAM 3GB
ATI Mobility Radeon HD3400
Hard Drive 150GB

I know the graphics aren’t great spec, but our desktop is capable of Blu-Ray and HD video editing etc so I’m not too concerned about that side of things for the laptop.

Cheers, Moose.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SYates

SYates

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

As long as your system meets the hardware requirements, you can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit when you upgrade. If you want to upgrade to 64-bit you will have to chose the custom install option (essentially performing a clean install). Your programs and settings will not be preserved and you will have to reinstall your software and reconfigure your personal settings. If you wish to preserve all of your programs and settings you would have to stay with 32-bit.

Moving forward you would be better off going with 64 bit anyway IMO.

SYates

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

FWIW:

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

Windows 7 Upgrade Guide All Your Questions Answered Maximum PC - http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_7_upgrade_guide_all_your_questions_answered

Louis

#4 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

Thank you both very much for the help.

Cheers, Moose. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic