Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirecting in Firefox and "TCP/IP Ping Command has stopped working error message.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SonnyW

SonnyW

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hello, I've been having this strange issue with my computer that recently started yesterday. Usually, I can solve these problems myself, but I can't seem to find out what exactly is wrong with my computer. I'm using Windows Vista.

Okay, so here's the problem: Whenever I surf on Firefox I get redirected to an ad page that is totally oblivious to the one I clicked on. Then, I've been constantly receiving a Microsoft Windows message saying, "TCP/IP Ping Command has stopped working" and it gives me the selection of checking online for a solution or closing it. Neither of the options do absolutely anything other than closing it. It'll then reappear in the next five minute interval. At first I thought maybe this could be a Rootkit, so I ran TDSSkiller.exe and came up with nothing. I checked my processes to make sure that there weren't any suspicious processes, coming up with nothing. I used a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware quick scan and came up with nothing. I noticed that my CPU usage was having abnormal spikes to 90-100% even when I wasn't doing anything. So, any idea of what this possibly is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brad Barrier

Brad Barrier

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:30 PM

Yes, my machine is doing the same thing....anyone?? I tried all the things SonnyW has tried...now my computer is randomly shutting itself off as well as the redirect and TCP/IP error message.

#3 Bigcormey

Bigcormey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

I'm having the same problem. It started after I got an AVG Threat Detected Alert that supposedly took care of the threat.
The threat was AV Protection 2011.v121. Could there be remnants of the threat causing this?

#4 rjaccin

rjaccin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:36 PM

I am having the same issue, except I use IE9 on Vista. I get redirected to different sites and see the same TCP/IP message. I did however run task manager and saw some funky processes with numbers followed by .com. I ended those processes and have yet to restart. It did seem to make a difference, but I still get redirected and CPU usage goes to 100%. I use Superantispyware and ran hyjack this, but don't know what to do with it. I know I am hyjacked, but don't know how to get rid of it.
Any one have any suggestions to clear it?

#5 sqpnt

sqpnt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Yes, I am having the same exact problem and have been for a couple of days.

I have run Malwarebytes AND AVG full computer scans several times and have come up with several threats. When I remove them, it does not seem to help.

This morning, my Internet connection has been terminated, I can't even get online on that computer. I have never had that happen before and can only assume that it is associated with the virus.

Also, I hadn't thought anything of it before, but for the past week or more I've been getting little messages from AVG saying that the program Firefox is detecting unusually high usage. The thing is, I would only be on one site, normally one of my three or four normal, everyday sites that I visit. So, it's not as if I'd be doing anything that would warrant unusually high usage. Very strange... don't know if it's related, but just thought I would relay the message.

I feel that this must be a newer virus or something because there is such a lack of information online about it. Problem with that is that there doesn't seem to be anyone that can guide us through getting our computers back to running properly.

I am NO computer tech by any means... but I am currently trying to run a full Malwarebytes scan in "Safe Mode" to see if it helps.

I once had a bad virus before and running it in Safe Mode did help fix the problem, so... fingers crossed, it will help again.

I will update with any progress.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

@all

TCP/IP Ping Command has stopped working

This is clear indication of zaccess rootkit

Rogue softwares like

Cloud antivirus

AV Protection 2011

Vista home security 2012 rogue

AV guard online

acts as a trojan dropper for this rootkit

PING.exe running under task manager is clear symptom of this rootkit

Wait for senior BC members to look at yourlogs

Thanks

#7 Brad Barrier

Brad Barrier

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

Anyone have any info??

#8 80-G

80-G

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

I am also having this problem. Just yesterday my computer came down with "Vista Security 2012," and I used the instructions from this very website to uninstall it. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-vista-security-2012) While I did uninstall the name-changing rogue, it obviously left some stuff behind. I'm seeing the same symptoms described in the first post: inappropriate/out-of-place popup ads; CPU usage shooting to 100% seemingly at random ; the error message "TCP/IP Ping Command has stopped working" popping up every few minutes. I've stopped using that computer for the time being because I think it might be a zombie. If someone smarter than me could figure out a fix for this problem, I'd be very grateful.

#9 Sionysion

Sionysion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

I have the same problem. Got it a day ago.

It keeps redirecting my webpages, done many virus scans with a number of scanners with no resuluts.

I have been watching me router and it seems to be under attack aswell. Coming up with things DHCP server received REQUEST from 84:00:D2:D1:41:2A and something about PACKET with a lot of numbers with [DOS] at the end, which im guessing is denial of service (And I will get loads of these in a row in my router log) Couldnt copy any over as the router log was cleared.

#10 SonnyW

SonnyW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

I found the possible cause of these problems. It has to do with malware posing as the important windows file "PING.exe". Open your task manager and click on "Show processes from all users" and check to see if you have the PING.exe running, which I'm assuming, should NOT be running. It seems to be the cause of the computer usage spikes and if you end it, it will just re-launch itself every 30 seconds. As for the random ad redirecting on the internet, I have no idea if PING.exe has to do with it, but the "TCP/IP Ping Command has stopped working" error does have relations to the infected PING.exe. Note: PING.exe is an important windows file, therefore you cannot simply delete it from your computer!

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Good evening everyone...

Wow, this is quite a topic! In order to help you, we need to get you to start your own new topics. By doing that, you will each get individualized help for your problem. It will also prevent a lot of confusion, because even though you have the same symptoms, you will all have slightly different resolutions.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Above all, thank you for trusting us to help out!

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#12 80-G

80-G

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thank you for the response.

Forgive me (and the others) for not writing our own topics. That may be the procedure for this forum, but it's the exact opposite of the policy for many forms, where duplicate topics are frequently deleted or merged. This forum is quite different, which takes some getting used to.

Should I go ahead and start a new topic in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" forum? It's pretty obvious that I am infected, and this forum seems to be for people who aren't really sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users