Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer lags and slows alot....

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 beckylynn420

beckylynn420

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

I have an HP laptop with Vista on it. It is a couple of years old. I hate using facebook as an example for something, but I have no idea what other example to give so here goes.
If you are familiar with facebook as I am sure you all are, you know that little blue box that pops up in the bottom left corner to tell you stuff??? I don't have that anymore. I cannot use chat anymore either. I have to refresh the page to get any new information at all. If I leave it alone it seems like it will do it every couple minutes on it's own but so reminds me of dial up!!! Even when I play a game on Pogo it is very choppy.
It seems ok when the fan is just barely on, but I have noticed that when it kicks into high speed it slows the system way down. May be a coincidence. You all know way better than me :)
I am using wireless internet but I am not very far from my router at all.
I have pinged my system thru command prompt and it tested out ok....sent 20 packets recieved 20 packets.
I am at a loss here.
Anything suggestions would be awesome :)
Thank you
Brandi Heimbach

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

Hello beckylynn420 , welcome to Bleeping Computer. :busy:
Several thoughts come to mind, dirty , dusty computer fan and motherboard, you may need to check out a cleaning of dust inside of it. Another is you may need to clean out temporary files , i like the free of Ccleaner, others like Temp File cleaner from Old Timer. Then , the condition of your RAM can be an issue , i would do a memory test to see how that checks out. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/65361-memory-diagnostics-tool.html
As far as lag, being wired is best for gaming, but, you seemed to have no packet loss, so, that is a good thing .
Post back results please.

Edited by lilbit96, 04 December 2011 - 02:02 AM.

Please use restore points often

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

Hello beckylynn420

Please do not follow the above advice to run OTL and post the log in this forum: It is not allowed.

Reference: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic383782.html

@ lilbit96: Please note.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

Sorry bout that, my bad,.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

Not a problem at all.

Best thing ... edit your post to remove the offending instructions!
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hmm....ok so what shall I do??? Should I move this post to another forum??
Don't want to get myself or anyone else in any trouble with the board :)

#7 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

I had a set of instructions that are not allowed, but, what is left is good, please do the memory test and post results for me .

#8 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Ok going to do it now...be back directly :)
And thank you in advance

#9 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

I ran the tool then followed the instructions to find the log in the viewer however, when I right click on system, find is not an option for me. It is unselectable.

#10 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

Well, hopefully you passed the memory test, do this for me please : http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

#11 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

Ok after waiting FOREVER(haha) The test is done. Is there anything I need to post or you need to know from it...

#12 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:52 PM

Well, you are posting that you ran the memory test, and the hard drive diagnostic, from my experience , if they found errors , they would have left you a log. So, assuming that you are seeing results that are showing you passed or are not seeing any errors with those tests, we can assume that the RAM and the Hard drive are in good shape.
Now, reference my first post to you about cleaning the dust out, and running a temp file cleaner. have you done that yet ?
Also, you may have system processes running that are not needed, there is a guide by Blackviper that can be used, if you used that guide, you can always change a service back to a default or the state it was in before you changed it. After you run a temp file cleaner, restart the computer and see how it is responding now and post back your results .

#13 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

Ran the TFC from Oldtimer. Blew out the vents and such as best as I could. Still the same. I wouldn't doubt the too many processes running idea, as at the moment I have 79 running. The fan is not on....this is the only window open. Going to go and attempt a game on pogo and see how long it takes the fan to come on the first time, then how long it takes to go into the second speed and what happens with my performance....hope that helps.....

#14 YardDog1

YardDog1

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

K, sounds good, you can install Speed Fan to help you monitor that , it is a free program. Also , free of Speccy will give you information , latest version also gives temp . Post back results of your findings please.

#15 beckylynn420

beckylynn420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Seems to run smoother and quieter now without the fan going so much but still no better on the internet speed. I will go and download speed fan and let you know what it says after an hour of playing the game and browsing facebook. Might as well use it like I normally would so you know exactly what it is doing :)
Thanks
Brandi Heimbach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users