Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows cannot access the specified drive, path or file."

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hi. I run both IE and Mozilla Firefox on an older Gateway laptop. IE still works fine but all the sudden Firefox won't open or load. The complete message I get is: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropiate permission to access the item."

To my knowledge, neither my wife or I have installed any new programs to cause this to happen.

I'm sure this is a common problem. Would somebody be so kind as to send me a link to troubleshoot and fix this?

Thanks Much,
Educated Guess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hi -
The common response is to Uninstall and then Reinstall the program or service causing this message (Firefox) -
Then make sure you have the latest updated version of the program -

Regards -

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

This is not common problem

You may need help of virus removal team because this is a symptom of rootkits

Post your issue in Am i infected forum