Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Security 2012 Aftermath / System Restore error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 outlaworange

outlaworange

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

First time posting, thanks in advance for the help.

So I've recently come in contact with the Vista Security 2012 rogue, and have taken steps to remove it. I've done the task manager closing, deleted the exe and tried cleaning registry keys (bouncing between a hundred different sites at the time) and I ended up ruining my .exe associations. Well, crap. I used xp_exe_fix.reg to restore .exe functionality, but when I went to use System Restore, nothing happens. I'm just staring at the desktop. I can see rstrui.exe running in Task Manager, but nothing is happening. Where do I go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 outlaworange

outlaworange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

Other .exes are working fine, but I'm positive that the virus messed with rstrui.exe somehow.

#3 outlaworange

outlaworange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Ok, now I feel stupid. The window finally loaded after about 10 minutes of waiting. -_-

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

I would suspect that system files may be damaged...and I would either run the sfc /scannow command or do a repair install of Vista, if possible.

A lesser step which might be useful would be to run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users