Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems re-booting after system restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jimskin1

Jimskin1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

I have just performed a full system restore on my Dell XPS L501 with Windows 7, but now it won't boot up. I get a 'Bootmgr is missing' message. I think I might have to try re-installing Windows but did not receive a disk with the PC. Anything else I should try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 l337hackzor

l337hackzor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

Check your boot order in the bios, make sure it is booting off the drive that has your windows installation.

When you power on your system repeatedly hit F8, if it brings up a menu with options like safe mode choose "repair my computer". This will load up tools for fixing issues with windows 7. Select startup repair, windows will go through common causes of windows not starting and repair them if possible.

If your computer will not give you this menu (it probably wont, given the error you are getting) then you will need a windows 7 or windows 7 repair CD to access these same tools. You do not need a CD that came with the computer, any windows 7 CD will work as long as its the same version (32 or 64 bit) as the version you have installed. Get a windows 7 cd from a friend or download one from the internet.

Put the CD/DVD into the computer then boot off the cd (you may have to change your boot order in the bios to boot off the cd rather than your hard drive). Once the CD is booted up, choose your language then click next, then choose repair options (or something similar). You will then be at the same menu as mentioned above, select startup repair.

The above process will repair most minor startup problems, however you maybe getting this message because your hard drive is damaged/failing. If startup repair is not able to get you up and running then I'd download seatools for DOS, this software is for testing your hard drive. You can download it from http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Burn that iso to a CD and boot off it, again you may need to change your boot order in the bios. Once booted into seatools you want to choose to do a short test on the hard drive, this will take 3-5 minutes and will determine if the drive is mechanically sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users