Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC suddenly started hanging frequently

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Swoopovich

Swoopovich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:03 PM

Hello,

I left home for a few days over Thanksgiving, and when I came back I found that my computer was behaving oddly. I built the computer myself only this May, so I'm quite upset that it's already having performance problems.

First, the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30 GHz (quad-core)
RAM: 4 GB
Mobo: Asrock P67 Extreme
GPU: Ati Radeon 5770 1G
HDD: Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ Solid State Hybrid Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

Basically, what is happening is that the computer will frequently hang for one, two, or even three seconds while performing basic tasks. I first noticed it while watching videos on YouTube, and now itís very obviously happening with everything I do on the computer. The computer had been performing wonderfully up until that point; it just developed this problem all of a sudden.

Hereís a breakdown of the performance issues that Iíve noticed:

Startup: Startup seems to take longer to get from power off to desktop.
Watching streaming video: The video will frequently freeze for a couple of seconds, but the audio will continue as normal.
Clicking: When I hover over something with the mouse, it sometimes takes a second or two for the item to be highlighted. Computer occasionally hangs when clicking on anything: a link, a program icon, etc.
Scrolling: Sometimes hangs when scrolling with mousewheel, even on pages with simple text.
Opening programs: Occasionally takes significantly longer to open than normal. Program begins opening up but does so slowly.
Closing programs: When I click to close a program such as a word document, it sometimes takes a second or two to begin closing when before it would do so instantaneously.
Word processing: When editing a text file, sometimes when I try making a change using my keyboard to enter or delete text, the computer hangs and it takes one or two seconds for my changes to appear.
Gaming: This is the worst problem. Since noticing the problem, I tried loading up Medieval II: Total War, which I had been playing quite a lot recently with absolutely no problems. However, now the title screen hangs for a second or two every 10 seconds or so, and the game is completely unplayable because every few seconds it will hang and the audio will freeze and loop.
General: I can still move the mouse normally whenver the computer hangs like this, but the cursor gets stuck in whatever form it was when the hanging started.

Some observations:

The CPU usage in Task Manager looks normal. I don't notice any CPU spikes when these hangs happen.
I cleaned the dust out of the interior of my computer with compressed air. It wasnít particularly dusty, but I got all of the dust off of the case fans, the RAM, the CPU fan, and the light collections of dust everywhere else.
I did a full virus scan with up-to-date Avast. No infections.
Defragmented C: drive. It was only 3% fragmented.
Ran a disk error-check. Didnít seem to be any problems.

Hereís what I think is going on. After reading some things online, it seems like many people with my model of hard drive have had the exact same problem: the HDD works great for a while, but within 6 months Ė 1 year (or sooner), they start experiencing hanging problems. The company has released firmware updates to address the issue, but I upgraded to the latest firmware and the problem still persists. Others claim to still have the problem after updating the firmware, as well.

Any ideas? Iím really at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 l337hackzor

l337hackzor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

First thing I'd do is a system restore to before the issue started happening, if that doesn't resolve it continue bellow.

Avast doesn't catch everything, personally I'd try scanning the system with other trusted tools like malwarebytes, superantispyware and even combofix. If the problem is not malware related I'd update/reinstall your video and audio drivers. Might as well update your SATA (chipset) drivers as well in case it is related to accessing your hard drive.

If that doesn't resolve the issue I'd try disabling all startup items and non-microsoft services in msconfig and see if the problem clears up. If it does then it's something starting with the system causing issues, go through the list and use process of elimination to determine the problematic program.

I'm not familiar with your particular hard drive but it may be a problem with it if other people are having the same issue with that drive. If you have the know how and parts available you could clone your existing windows installation onto another traditional mechanical hard drive and boot off it, see if the issue continues. Do you have your windows installed on the SSD component and everything else on the HDD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users