Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant program hang ups

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billybeeru

billybeeru

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

After restarting my laptop, for an hour or two everything works fine. Then eventually all my programs start to hang up in the middle of whatever I'm doing. Usually the hangups last 30-60 seconds. It makes it really hard to get anything done without having to constantly restart my computer.

I run Vista, and from what I've read this is fairly common with Vista, which doesn't surprise me. Can anyone help me figure out how to pinpoint what the problem is or get this fixed? Let me know what info I can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Your problem has nothing to do with the fact you are using Vista.

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?
2) Does the same thing happen in safe mode?

#3 billybeeru

billybeeru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

I don't think I added or changed anything on my computer which would point to things suddenly acting different after that. It just starting happening one day.

I haven't really tried it in safe mode. I can't get online with safe mode, so there is not much I can do in safe mode to mimic the same activity that I do when the computer gets hung up.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

I can't get online with safe mode

Choose Safemode with Networking.

Tekken

#5 billybeeru

billybeeru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

I finally went back to try this because I still have the hangups issue. When I restart in Safemode with Networking it doesn't allow me to connect to the internet. I'm not sure why this is. Is there something I should try to get around this?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Just try safemode first as suggested without the internet connection to diagnose the problem. Let it run for a couple of hours and see if it freezes too. Please post also the computer model next time.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users