Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp With Password

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 philywilly

philywilly

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

Good evening all...... and thanks for any help in advance. I puchased a computer in an estate sale "as is". I was told that the computer is in good working order since it is only 6 months old. The problem is that it is password protected and when I load my xp cd it does not do anything. All I want to do is do a clean install with my cd. Is there a way I can hard reset the system or do I need a new clean hard drive????? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:12 PM

philywilly,

This is a sensitive area, to post password bypass information. This is due to the fact that the information may be used elsewhere for nefarious activity. I will tell you that you can find the information here. Good luck, hth. Let us know if you're succesful.

Be (Fresh Install) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Reflektionz98

Reflektionz98

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hi Philywilly.
I think you should try booting the pc from your windows xp cd and performing a new install. This will format the hard drive and wipe out the system and files currently on it and install your XP system. If on startup, the words "Press any key to boot from CD" do not appear across the top of your screen, you may have to go into the bios and set up the boot sequence to boot the CD-Rom before the Hard drive.

This is juat an idea if Animal's suggestion doesn't work for you better.

Edited by Reflektionz98, 02 February 2006 - 06:20 PM.

Posted Image

#4 philywilly

philywilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the help, I hope I did not offend anyone with the question sorry...... The clean install worked but I lost all the info on dell specs. Now I just need to find all the drivers and what nots. Dell will not supply me with the application discs, and diagnostic cd. Thanks everyone.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:11 PM

Go here enter your Make & Model and the drivers for that model will be listed.
http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users