Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer only boots in Safe Mode after installing Pwr Supply

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Calebdan

Calebdan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Hi, i have read posts on this site and am confident in the help you could give.

Problem: I am running Vista 32 bit operating system and currently my computer will only boot up in safe mode. If i try to boot in normal mode it goes to a black sreen and sits there. It gives no error msg.

History of what happened: My computer would sometimes turn on, and sometimes not. Finally it would just about never turn on. So i installed a new Power Supply. Computer turns on fine now, but it said the computer was not shut down properly and i had to run some repair program. That did not help. It will not give me the option to do a system restore. I ran malwarebytes and that did not find anything. Super Antispyware found a hkcer.exe broken file association in the registry which i removed. As you can see i can do a safe mode with ntwking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

im no expert ,but do fix other people computers in my spare time ,if it were mine or on my work desk . the first thing i would try is ,in safe mode uninstall the video device drivers and reboot the computer ,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 Calebdan

Calebdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

I'll post specs below. Also i just uninstalled the Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS drivers, but that did not solve the problem. Thanks.

Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
Manufactuer: Gateway
Model: GT5644E
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.61 GHZ
Mem: 3GB
32 bit OS system
Display Adapter: Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

What onscreen error do you get...when you try to boot normally, ignoring safe mode? Exact wording, please.

Louis

#6 Calebdan

Calebdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

I do not get any error msgs. It has the little bar with the green lights going across it with the Microsoft logo under it. Then it goes to a blank (black) screen. Absolutely no error msg at all. No beeping sounds either.
One thing i have noticed. The new Power Supply does not have a PCIE plug. My old power supply did. I don't know if the PCIE plug on my old power supply was even plugged into anything. And even if i were to try and plug it in, I cannot find anywhere to plug it into.

Thanks

#7 Calebdan

Calebdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

This is a link that has a picture of my motherboard and whats on it. I have also attached a file with a picture of the motherboard. Same thing the website will show you. This is in case you see somewhere that i don't, where you would attach the PCIE plug from a power supply.

http://www.barebonekit.net/gateway-gt5648e-gt5644e-motherboard_i_mb64gw4006203r1.aspx

Attached Files

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

the pci-e plug would plug into a pci-e video card if you have one installed,that would be the orange slopt on the motheboard , ,but if you are only using unboard video then it would not need to be plugged in to anything ,make sure the 4 pin p4 plug is plugged in ,shown on the board picture as "C"

#9 Calebdan

Calebdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Yes the 4 pin is plugged in. I am not using the on board video. My video card is plugged into the PCIE (Orange slot), but again i see no where to plug in the 6 pin connector from the power supply. This might not have anything to do with the 6 pin connector. Not sure why it will not boot up right.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Not every pci-E card requires the PSU-connection.

Can you get into the BIOS?

Read Black screen on boot (no cursor) - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/black-screen-on-boot-no-cursor/892d155a-aadb-4e54-8e59-edf98b0ed020 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

this computer will boot to safe mode .!

did you try removing the pci-e ard and usee the onboard and see if it boot without the black screen

#12 Calebdan

Calebdan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:59 PM

Yes i can get into the BIOS. Actually i went into the BIOS and changed the video to use the onboard instead of the PCIE card. But after i did that, the computer will not recognize the onboard video. The light on the monitor just stays yellow. So i switched it back to the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users