Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting index.dat files in Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dumb bytes

dumb bytes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

I am brand new to this site. This is my first post. I tried to find the information that I was looking for in the search feature, but to no avail.

I am wanting to know if there is a way to manually delete the index.dat files completely off my computer in Windows 7. If not, is there a utility that you would recommend that is safe and effective to use? Although I can get around on my computer just fine, I am in no way an advanced user. Detailed instructions would be most appreciated.

If there are already threads with this information, if you could link them here that would be helpful.

Thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

You can either delete it in safe mode, use an app such as MoveOnBoot to delete at the next boot, or use ccleaner to delete it

http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

#3 dumb bytes

dumb bytes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Allan thanks. I already tried in MS Dos in Safe Mode, but it just came back telling me that it could not find an index.dat file. I tried c:\del index.dat/s

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hello -
If you are not quite happy with the reply from Allan - See Below -
Please Google the phrase "manually delete the index.dat files"
You will find many examples of how to do this -

Thank You -

#5 Chillum

Chillum

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the recommendations but which option box would I check/tick in CCleaner to delete these index.dat files please?.

#6 l337hackzor

l337hackzor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Be sure to run Ccleaner as an administrator, you will likely receive the UAC administrator prompt when attempting to run it. If you don't receive this prompt then right click on ccleaner and choose "run as administrator".

On the cleaner tab of ccleaner, under internet explorer the option is called "index.dat files", it is checked by default.

If you run ccleaner it will delete this file, however I imagine windows will regenerate a new bank copy of the file so if you check and it looks like it's still there that is why.

#7 Chillum

Chillum

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for your help l337hackzor can't see how I missed it :thumbup2:

#8 SYates

SYates

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

CCleaner is what i'd recommend for deleting index.dat files as other have suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users