Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry/Administrator issue plague

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 icsuccess

icsuccess

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

Before I start I am running on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

I noticed an issue with the network tray icon. Instead of showing the little globe it shows the red X as if I'm not connected. Thing is, I connect just fine. When I hover or check my network and sharing center it only says "Access Denied." Great, so I Google the problem, as I usually do and find a bunch of different links to forums and blogs claiming for this to be registry and/or administrator related.

Now, I only have one account on this computer and that account is the administrator, yet I get a lot of errors opening or installing programs (I can run most of my executables as administrator and it will work fine, except Microsoft Word as it has no run as administrator option.) When trying to install a program most of these errors say things like Windows Installer not installed properly (how ironic), and random error messages about msiexec.exe just as I am browsing the internet or playing a game. A Google search and common sense on this also reveals registry and administrator problems.

I usually don't sign up for forums to ask about issues because I usually find solutions myself, but this time I'm stumped. You guys seem really good so any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2011 - 10:59 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 icsuccess

icsuccess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

anyone?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

Well...it would help if we get exact wording for specific error messages.

"Access denied" and "random error messages about msiexec.exe" just isn't a lot to solicit comments, IMO.

You have a network setup that you cannot use? How long has this existed?

Have you checked the errors noted in Event Viewer...for possible clues/hints?

Louis

#4 icsuccess

icsuccess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

Well...it would help if we get exact wording for specific error messages.

"Access denied" and "random error messages about msiexec.exe" just isn't a lot to solicit comments, IMO.

You have a network setup that you cannot use? How long has this existed?

Thanks for replying.

Well this problem has been going on maybe one or two weeks before my original post. As I said, I see access denied when I hover over my network tray icon or when I double click it to see the Network and Sharing center. It is my network and I am the administrator.

As for "msiexec.exe", the message pops up randomly and reads at the title bar (Koo is my username): C:\Users\Koo\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFX35\installer_msi_win.msi and in the body reads: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel. I press OK and 1 or 2 seconds later the same message pops up again. I press OK again and it doesn't come back for a while.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

For info only, do not follow suggestions: http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/remove-perfect-keylogger

I believe that you may be infected...I will move this to one of our malware forums where the more knowledgeable can confirm/refute my suspicion.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 December 2011 - 11:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users