Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive issues.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alvaaron

Alvaaron

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

I have two hard drives that are connected to my motherboard. One is a 1TB WDC Black that has my OS and a good bit of stuff (only about 150GB free). My other drive is a 3TB WDC Green that I keep most of my downloads on and a good portion of my installed games. Well for the past few days, I've been having trouble accessing anything on the 3TB drive that isn't music. If I go to load a video, it never loads, same deal with games. The music on the drive seems to work fine for the most part. This isn't the first time this has happened, but last time I fixed it by unplugging the drives and plugging them back in (didn't work this time). Just in case my specs might be necessary, they are attached. Also I have a 650W PSU.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

Have you tried running Windows GUI error checking tool? Right-click the drive and go to Tools tab.

Tekken

#3 Alvaaron

Alvaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

I tried that and it said nothing was wrong. It seems the problem is that while it may read, it's doing so extremely slowly. Could this a bad SATA cable or a lack of power to the drive?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:52 AM

Swap SATA cables or try transferring a couple of movies on your 1 TB hard drive to check on the difference.

Tekken

#5 Alvaaron

Alvaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

I don't think it's the SATA cables, I already had that issue (I'm honestly surprised they worked at all considering they where like 5 years old). And everything on my main 1TB drive works fine. I actually had a few people elsewhere tell me that it's probably related to having so little wiggle room left on my power supply after 125W processor and a 500W video card. I spoke with a friend and I think I'm going to try hooking up a second power supply for my hard drives and see how that goes.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

I'd be more suspicious that the WD Green drive is going bad. One indicator that I have observed in the past of a failing drive is it gets very slow.

Something else to look at is in the device manager. Take a look at the advanced properties under the drive controllers and see if the drive ha slipped back to PIO mode.

Personal opinion is against the power supply being too small. You video card isn't drawing 500 watts. What that rating is saying is that you need a minimum 500 watt supply to supply the motherboard and video and everything else.

The WD Black probably draws more power than the green drive. Power supplies that are overloaded will shut off to protect themselves from burning up.

Try going into the BIOS setup and look for a hardware monitor section and see what temps an volts things are running.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

I also dont see how a power supply and video card even newly installed would cause slow data transfer or unresponsive from opening certain files.

Edited by jhayz, 06 December 2011 - 08:33 PM.

Tekken

#8 Alvaaron

Alvaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hmm well I've come to find out that one of the issues may simply be that I had too much stuff plugged in were my computer is. However here is the info Speccy gives on my hard drives.

Attached Files

• Attached File  HDD.png   70.11KB   2 downloads

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

Better safe than sorry

Go to the Western Digital Website http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&lang=en and download the drive makers diagnostics and run it. Both the short and the long tests. I still suspect that the drive is failing. Your drive is exhibiting classic symptoms as I see it.

Personally if it were my drive with important data on it I would be backing it up right now.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 07 December 2011 - 10:54 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Alvaaron

Alvaaron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

Better safe than sorry

Go to the Western Digital Website http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&lang=en and download the drive makers diagnostics and run it. Both the short and the long tests. I still suspect that the drive is failing. Your drive is exhibiting classic symptoms as I see it.

Personally if it were my drive with important data on it I would be backing it up right now.

Good Luck

I'll run that as soon as I can. However, rather strangely, the drive appears to be operating normally now. I think I may have had an issue with the power strip I was using (it was rather old) combined with the SATA cable being at a right angle (the drive was on the bottom of my enclosure, and the cable was bent at a terrible angle because it was hitting the bottom of the case). I'm honestly glad I don't store important stuff on this drive, it's mostly just downloads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users