Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No browser sound after virus/malware removal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 semut

semut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

(Running Windows 7)

Background:
A couple days ago I got one of those virus/malware that hides everything and gives you fake errors trying to get you to buy their software. After battling it allllllll day and night it went away. Then it came back. Then that 'Windows Antivirus 2012' showed up which was easier to get rid of.

During the whole ordeal almost NOTHING was able to detect it. Not MalwareBytes, not AdAware, SpyBot seemed to find some things but didn't seem to help, I have Norman's Security Suite and it didn't find anything, nor did their Norman Malware Cleaner app. I ran ComboFix and it seemed to clean the system for the night but everything was back again in the morning. Kapersky's TDSkiller didn't find any infections.

Anyways I found a blog online that had step by step removal instructions and was able to, once again, get the virus out. (Still battling the damn google redirect, but I'm having a feeling it's dns/host related).

My problem:
I noticed last night that I get no sound in any of my browsers now. All my sound elsewhere works fine (playing mp3's, watching downloaded movies, windows sounds, etc). But if I go to ANY webpage that has sound I get nothing. Youtube, for example, I see the video but no sound. I updated my Flash just to be safe but still no sound. I get no sound in ANY browser (firefox, IE, Chrome).

I know that I didn't manually remove/change anything that would have done anything to the sound. Unfortunately I don't know which program DID, because I ran so many cleaners/detectors. I'm suspecting it was ComboFix, just because of how it runs, but I can't be sure.

How can I fix this? I "know what I'm doing" as far as computers goes but I'm really stumped on this one.

Any ideas??

Thanks folks

-Semut

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users