Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer wont boot Ubuntu from CD/DVD or USB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gamesrmelife

gamesrmelife

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Hi, i am a computer novice so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have an old Fujitsu c-series lifebook C-6155....currently running Windows XP professional at a snails pace. Hoping to speed the computer up slightly I wanted to try out Ubuntu.

I made both a CD and a USB installer (which tested on a different computer both booted successfully.)

I changed the boot order to USB/CD/Hard-drive. However when booting up the computer automatically goes to the hard-drive and Windows boots up.

In an attempt to force boot from either usb or cd I turned 'off' the hard-drive in the order list, but then I get a blank screen with 'no operating system found'

Please help...how do I get the computer to boot from CD or USB...Its basically a paperweight running XP!

THANKS!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Have you checked that the CD works by booting in another machine?
It could be a dodgy download or burn - just a thought.

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

According to the specs I found (here) that thing has a 450MHz Celeron. It's probably not made to boot from USB at all.

There are ways to boot from floppy and make it boot an external CD or thumb drive. But that will probably deal with loading drivers and other things on the floppy before USB will kick in.

You might be out of luck unless you want to move the drive to another machine, install linux and move it back, or look into making a bootable floppy with USB drivers that will work.

#4 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

You could also try Plop, haven't tried it myself, although I have heard a couple of success stories. There's an article about it here.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#5 crider54

crider54

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

I have an old Fujitsu c-series lifebook C-6155....currently running Windows XP professional at a snails pace. Hoping to speed the computer up slightly I wanted to try out Ubuntu.

I made both a CD and a USB installer (which tested on a different computer both booted successfully.)

I changed the boot order to USB/CD/Hard-drive. However when booting up the computer automatically goes to the hard-drive and Windows boots up.

In an attempt to force boot from either usb or cd I turned 'off' the hard-drive in the order list, but then I get a blank screen with 'no operating system found'

Please help...how do I get the computer to boot from CD or USB...Its basically a paperweight running XP!

THANKS!!!!

Did you burn thge linux disk as an iso or just burn the data onto the disk very common problem.Select Write image file to disc

#6 crider54

crider54

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:00 AM

THANKS!!!!

Did you burn thge linux disk as an iso or just burn the data onto the disk very common problem.Select Write image file to disc

TRY Puppy linux you can run it directly form your flash drive

#7 Uluru_2

Uluru_2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:02 AM

It seems very likely your Live CD, the CD burnt from the .iso has been burnt incorrectly, as mentioned earlier.

When burning look for the option to "Burn an .iso".

At the moment there is no bootloader except the Windows MBR.
Once the Live CD has been correctly burnt, the Linux BootLoader should take over; as long as you have 'Boot from CD' as the prefered boot preference.

Best of luck :thumbup2:

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users