Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound on headphones and desktop speakers low

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rexmism

rexmism

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hello,
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T510 with Windows 7 and have noticed the sound when using headphones it quite low. The same headphones playing the same sound on an older computer turned up all the way is extremely loud, but on this one, you can sometimes barely hear it. Even when using desktop speakers, turned up all the way, playing something in VLC media player with that sound up 400%, it is still sometimes hard to hear, and pretty much any video online, which I can't turn up to 400%, is too low to hear very well. Is this an issue with the sound card? Is there any way to amplify it? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:42 PM

Have you tried enabling the "Loudness Equalization" in Windows 7 ?

You can find this setting in the control panel.
Control Panel -> Hardware Sound - >Sound - > Speakers

http://www.trishtech.com/win7/enable_loudness_equalization_in_windows_7.php

#3 rexmism

rexmism
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

Thanks, that definitely helps. Should probably be loud enough for me now, though certainly still not anywhere close to my old computer. Is this a Windows 7 thing, having volume so quiet?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

There is also a setting for VLC to enable bass and treble. In Win 7, Check Volume Control options - All devices currently playing sound is ticked. Right-click your sound icon shown on system tray or notification area.

Edited by jhayz, 02 December 2011 - 08:41 PM.

Tekken

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

rexmism in my personal experience yes, Windows 7 does play sound with a little lower volume compared to Windows XP. But once you start using Windows 7, you would get used to it :)

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

See this link and set your sound to CD/DVD quality http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/21089-low-sound-volume.html#post234986

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users