Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows x86...is it just x86 or x86 online/offline

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hevonne

hevonne

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

I am running Vista x86 home basic. 32. Inspiron with Pentium. I would like to correct Java 6 U29 that I d/l on Oct.3, 2011 by d/l Java 7 U1. I read in a topic that once it has been d/l to uninstall all other versions of java and reboot prior to installing the new version. Problem is, I don't know if I'm running straight x86, x86 online or x86 offline. Help is greatly appreciated. My computer is beginning to slow way down and startup has become a cross your fingers waiting game. Thanks so very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:00 AM

Right-click My Computer and choose Properties. Look for system type to check on your query.

Tekken

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:15 AM

Good morning hevonne, to avoid any confusion - and please note that the Java update can be very confusing! - you may want to delete what ever latest download you have made and start fresh.

The easiest version for your computer would be the Windows x86 Offline, which as you noted, can be downloaded to your desktop and saved there until you are ready to install, which you should do after you have deleted any and all previous versions (and then rebooted).

The other two versions you are seeing on the Java website: Windows x86 Online and Windows x86 are essentially the same, although the first one (Online) simply means that, a Java update you would make while online. The letters in that file - iftw - stand for 'install from the web' and, according to Java, is a program that will download more installer files based on your system configuration. In short, using this installer can help you avoid downloading large amounts of unnecessary files.

The other version - Windows x86 - you can see has the letter 's' in place of the 'iftw' which I believe (and I could be wrong here) stands for 'stand-alone' and would be the version you would use if the other two did not install properly.

That's probably more information that you needed, but I thought I'd try to cover all my bases.

In short, the Windows x86 Offline is most likely the best version for you and please don't forget to uninstall all previous versions (and reboot after doing so) before installing the new one.

Please let me know if that helps and/or if you need any other information.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 NickiO

NickiO

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:14 AM

Winterland, thank you very much for that explanation! It answered questions I had also. One question that you didn't answer is what does the x86 refer to? I totally get the x32 vs x64 bit systems, but I have no idea about the x86
NickiO

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:55 AM

NickiO, good morning and please accept my apology for the delay in getting back to you, had to unplug and go offline this weekend to tend to some family health issues.

In the event that you haven't found your answer somewhere else, I thought I'd give it a shot.

From what I can gather, the x86 simply refers to a family of processors and the instruction set they use, which was based on Intel 8086 and many of the early successors to the 8086 also had names ending in 86, which led to the x86 label. In short, as things went from 16 bit to 32 bit, x86 began to stand for (or imply) only 32 bit while 64 bit systems were referred to as 86-64 or x64. Confusing, eh?

Wikipedia has a rather exhaustive history but I'm afraid most of it is a bit beyond my scope of understanding :P

Here's the link if you need/want it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

Hope that makes sense to you. I *think* I understand the x86 label but if you'd like more info, I'd probably have to suggest you post a New Topic as that's about as technical as I can get on this issue.

Enjoy the day,

Winterland

#6 NickiO

NickiO

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

Winterlan, thank you very much for that explanation. I figured it was probably something like that, but had never seen it explained anywhere.
NickiO

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

NickiO, you're welcome, that's what the forums are all about; learning something new about these Bleeping Computers we're all working on.

See you in the Forums.

Winterland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users