Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook [not express] indexing,and xp, oh my

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shyjan

shyjan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

I think my problem is Outlook [not express]has taken over my XP and lists the number of emails I have waiting before I even logon. I wanted to know how to stop that.
Also I installed indexing because outlook was not searching my email correctly. It did not fix the problem. I unistalled it but windows never seemed to run good again. It had to have the service stopped and to uncheck it on the c drive..I am wondering if I need to do anything else??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 504Steve

504Steve

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

To get rid of the unread message count go to Start -> Run -> type in regedit

Then navigate to the following key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

Once there create a new DWORD value and call it MessageExpiryDays

Make sure the value of this new DWORD value is 0, and you should be good to go after restarting.

If you are uncomfortable modifying the registry, try using this .reg file

#3 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

thanks I will try it

#4 JRoe

JRoe

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

If you are a little uneasy about editing the registry then you could also open up Outlook and go through all of your folders to find emails that still show to not be read. Then you could click on each email and then it will put that email into the "read" status. After you complete this and there are no longer ANY unread emails in any folders then the count will disappear on the log in screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users