Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Memory Failures

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DTL

DTL

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

I recently bought a PC off ebay. (Dell Precision 380) - It's for my mum to browse the web...

The guy I bought it off said he had Windows 7 running on it then it stopped working.

When I got it home it kept giving me a BSOD when I tried to install Windows XP.

I ran memtest86 and found a bad RAM stick (there were 3).
The other two were fine.

I set it up at my mum's house and put her old HD in to copy stuff across. This caused me a nightmare as it would fail to recognise both HDs properly (causing random BSODs), until I changed SATA options in the BIOS. Eventually got them working side by side, copied everything across but left the old one in just incase there was something she needed that I'd missed.

Everything was fine for a week when it started BSODing and resetting itself on boot up of Windows XP.

Now she says she noticed the TV flicker (no lights or anything and none of her fuses tripped) on the night it broke.

I tested the RAM today and one of the sticks is bad.

She's now down to one stick...

Any ideas what could have caused it? Is it a duff motherboard? Coincidence?
I'd put it down to a power surge if it weren't for the fact that another stick had died in it not long ago.

PS: The first one was in Slot 3, the 2nd death occurred in Slot 2.
I tested both the newly dead stick and remaining good stick on their own in Slot 1.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as she really needs her internet to do banking etc...

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

I have to ask this question?

You said this?

Now she says she noticed the TV flicker (no lights or anything and none of her fuses tripped) on the night it broke.

Was that Machine actually protected by a good Surge Protector?

If it was not then it is logical what happened. Many people ignore that basic thing about Computing, thinking "It won't happen to me".

First thing that gets taken out is RAM (Memory) no matter what OS used, It is a Hardware issue and applies to Computers in general. The Motherboard can be made useless, same as the CPU. Each Surge has different Problems.

I refurbish and repair computers for disadvantaged people and only charge for Parts that I actually have to buy in. I do get donated Machine and Parts from friendly people, all these are free.

Each Machine has Surge Protection that I pay for my self at no charge.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 DTL

DTL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

I did think that but was wondering if there could be something wrong with the mb (given the other failure).
Not sure if she has a surge protected socket or not. Will tell her to get one ASAP.

Could the power supply be faulty?

Thanks.

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

Could the power supply be faulty?

If it was a Power surge, unprotected, it certainly can be so.

Scarey, eh?

I hope you have learnt something out of this?

Next time you set up a Computer make sure it is Surge Protected.

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users