Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Crashed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 too_sly

too_sly

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

my computer is really be picky and it's doing all kinda of weird stuff, how can I get those important files of my computer before I reformat?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:03 PM

Would you not like us to try and help you get the current install close to normal? What is it doing?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 too_sly

too_sly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:59 PM

actually, now, for some reason, i have 2 windows xp's but that's fine. I have to use the one on partition g, the new one. I can be happy with this as long as there is a way to use all of my previous settings and profiles on the new partition. as of now, i am trying to reinstall everything. on c: i have all of my prior windows setting and the damaged windows file. so basically i want to be able to tell the windows xp in partition g to use the drivers and programs in the c drive. how do i do this?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

The 2 copies of XP are called a "parallel installation" and it can come in handy for fixing stuff - so don't worry about it just yet.

What make and model of computer do you have?
Do you have recovery CD's? If so, what does it say on the face of the CD's?
Have you scanned the computer for viruses and spyware recently? If not (and if you can get online) go to this site and perform their free, online scan (using Internet Explorer): http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:36 AM

Windows installations default to C drive. However if you have two installations of XP then if one will not boot, it will go to the next installation. If this is on G, it will open and temporarally call thar C for this particular boot. If you are trying to repair the installation on the drive you call C then you have to be careful, because you could be directed to the wrnong installation. The confusion is furthered by the fact that in reinstallation the current installation are referred to as 1 and 2, not C and G. It will ask which installation do you want to overwrite. The simplest solution, unless you have carefully obseved the renamings of your current boot is simply to disable the 'good' installation, and this leaves no doubt, as only 1 installation gets recognised. For more information on installations you can find here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

#6 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 02:40 AM

BTW, the spellcheck on my previous post said it was OK with no mistakes highlighted, apologies, I'll try something else next time; as it obviously doesn't work!

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:11 AM

UBCD4Win

The UBCD4Win is a bootable mini WinXP CD which will give you full read/write access to your drives allowing you to copy off all your data, it will even allow you to run antivirus virus scans on your partitions.

However if you feel building the CD is too complicated a easier solution is to download a prebuilt OS.

Knoppix

KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD "Maxi" edition).

Knoppix will give you read access to the NTFS/FAT/FAT32 volumes and allow you to copy data off. It's safe writing information to a FAT/FAT32 partition and writing to a NTFS volume is possible although please note this is highly risky and may corrupt all your data, do so at your own risk. There are other free Linux live boot CDs/DVDs just search the web for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users