Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a distro that's good for audio/video setups?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sarthos

Sarthos

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

If I want a computer for the sole purpose of watching videos and listening to music, no concern whether it can use the internet, play games, or virtually anything else, is there a particular operating system that would work really well for that? I'm not sure if it's more a hardware or a software thing, but it'd be nice if there was an OS that would boot up fast and work well as a music/movie player, essentially making for it a large iPod with a few terrabytes of hard drive space, ability to play FLAC files, and an optical digital output to the rest of the home theater system. Anyone know of one?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

sar try ubuntu studio.

here is a link

http://ubuntustudio.org/
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 Sarthos

Sarthos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:41 AM

Cool, downloading now to see how well it works. I'm not sure based on the website what kind of features it has, but it seems like the type of thing that boots up, lets you play around with music and such, then turn it off when you're done, or does it have all the same word-processing, web-browsing, etc features that an OS like Windows has?

I could use some help figuring out how to install this OS. I tried it and when I went to run it, the screen shut off. I'm assuming cause I screwed up and downloaded the Intel package, pretty sure my Processor is an AMD one. But I know it's 64 bit. Trying to install from a flash drive, onto a computer that won't let Windows work :(

Edited by Sarthos, 02 December 2011 - 04:15 AM.

#4 Sarthos

Sarthos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

Won't let me edit my last post?

At any rate, trying to install that thing seems to have trashed my computer. Can't load advanced boot options with F8 when I try to start anymore, and if it tries to start that ubuntostudio thing it immediately powers down my screen and I can't do anything. And I have no idea how to even uninstall it now. I can put in a flash drive and run Puppylinux but that's about it. Great..

Edited by Sarthos, 04 December 2011 - 03:25 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:02 AM

Trying to install from a flash drive, onto a computer that won't let Windows work

Do you mean you have previously been unable to get Windows to work on this computer? If the computer has a fault that prevents Windows from working, it's not reasonable to think you'll be able to successfully install another Operating System.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Sarthos

Sarthos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

It had been working until a few days ago. Even then, command prompt would run, screen worked, startup repair would work, I could even (and still can) run puppylinux off a flash drive, or launch other stuff off of a flash drive, CD, or DVD. But now, I have no idea what this has done to my computer.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

I've not used Linux much, but if I was in that situation, I'd either try to install Puppy & see if that worked (if it did, Ubuntu may have some incompatibility with your system), or run a hard drive diagnostic in case the hard drive has some bad sectors (most of the HDD manufacturers offer diagnostic software on their support sites).

The other possibility that comes to mind is, if the F8 boot options you refer to are not the Windows options (which will no longer be there anyway), but a proprietary boot manager/recovery system which some brands implemented, this used a custom boot sector which perhaps could upset Linux if the drive was not completely wiped beforehand. In this situation, a utility like DBAN could be used to wipe the first track of the drive, and the Ubuntu install run again.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:21 AM

sar try this put the linux cd back in the computer and see if you can get ubuntu studios to run in the live mode. the one that lets you try the cd without installing. if it works it could be a hard drive problem. or your system is too small. puppy is a very small distro and takes a min of system resources. let us know how you fare. note you can use puppy to remove studios if all else fails .
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#9 Sarthos

Sarthos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

It seems that something caused an error when Ubuntustudio was partitioning the Hard Drive. So I just formatted it and reinstalled Windows so the computer at least works now :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users