Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a gaming computer, looking for confirmation on a few things.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ryladine

ryladine

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:30 PM

I'm helping a friend build a new gaming computer and I just want to be certain everything will work together correctly and that his power supply is powerful enough. I have already done a bit of checking and I "think" it will all work, but I don't want to tell him its all perfect and have it not work.

Alright, to start here is his case, I have checked and I am fairly certain it is compatible with his motherboard and power supply, as well as his hard drive and disk drive.

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced with Window USB3.0

Here is his motherboard, like I said I have checked to be sure it will fit in his case and I am fairly certain it will.

ASRock 970 Extreme4 Motherboard

Here is his CPU, I'm almost certain it is compatible with the mother board but it would be a rather expensive mistake if I am wrong. It says its socket is an AM3+ and the motherboard says it supports it, but I don't know enough to be sure there isn't anything else I need to be checking for.

AMD FX-8150 8-Core Processor

He plans to run this cooling system, I am fairly certain it is compatible with both the processor and the case.

Antec KUHLER H2O 620 CPU Cooler

This is the RAM he plans to put in it, the mother board looks to be compatible.

A-RAM ARTW4GB1333D3V DDR3 PC-10600 1333MHz 4GB (2x2GB)

This is the graphics card he plans on getting, I am certain it will fit, but didn't want to leave it out.

HIS Radeon HD6790 1GB

And this is his power supply, I am most concerned about this because I don't know for certain how much power the computer will need to run, I know he plans to overclock as far as is safe.

Aereon Asroc ASC-700C 700W Power Supply

Finally here is his hard drive, he was planning on getting a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda Green but I convinced him not to because I had heard of a large failure rate in them.

Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS

Any advice is welcome, this build is on the edge of his budget, so anything that will work the same but is cheaper is a welcome suggestion.
"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

I would swap out the RAM with this as it will leave more open slots for upgrades. That CPU will work with that motherboard, however, it seems hardly worth it as the 8120 can be easily overclocked to 8150 levels and cost less. If this is a gaming PC, eight cores aren't necessary unless your friend also does content creation or rendering. You may be better served with a four core CPU, or, if you want to leave some performance headroom just in case, a six core. A good quad core CPU would be the FX-4100 and a good six core CPU would be the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. Water cooling is also not needed unless you are doing extreme overclocking and you need a copy of Windows. If you have the money, the HIS Radeon HD6850 1GB is more of a mid-range gaming graphics card whereas the 6790 is more of a lower end card that has been clocked higher.

3939.png

#3 Dark Fleet

Dark Fleet

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

I would swap out the RAM with this as it will leave more open slots for upgrades. That CPU will work with that motherboard, however, it seems hardly worth it as the 8120 can be easily overclocked to 8150 levels and cost less. If this is a gaming PC, eight cores aren't necessary unless your friend also does content creation or rendering. You may be better served with a four core CPU, or, if you want to leave some performance headroom just in case, a six core. A good quad core CPU would be the FX-4100 and a good six core CPU would be the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T. Water cooling is also not needed unless you are doing extreme overclocking and you need a copy of Windows. If you have the money, the HIS Radeon HD6850 1GB is more of a mid-range gaming graphics card whereas the 6790 is more of a lower end card that has been clocked higher.

I wouldn't overclock if the system runs the applications your friend wants FYI. Overclocking, while you get better performance and faster speeds out of it, it also harms the CPU, especially if you don't overclock correctly.

#4 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, I know, I'm just passing along what he says he intends to do, though I don't think he could figure out how to overclock it XD.

Thanks for the suggestions on the RAM and cpu though, I'll have a talk with him about what he plans to use it for.
"Ignorance is not stupidity, refusing to correct it is. Stupidity should be a crime punishable by death." A soon to be famous quote by: Ryladine

Most scientist's think that man is the dominant species on earth, I know the truth, its not man that is the dominant species, its cats.

#5 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:38 PM

My friend is planning to overclock both his cpu and run crossfire with two of the video card you suggested, the 6850, would he need a more powerful psu? (I know your against him overclocking but I'm just relaying a message.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

I would get a quality 750W power supply which can power up 2 6850.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

A 700W power supply is more than enough, just one 6850 needs 500W, I doubt that card uses 250W at load.

3939.png

#8 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:35 AM

A 700W power supply is more than enough, just one 6850 needs 500W, I doubt that card uses 250W at load.

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused with your reply. If one 6850 uses 500W how can one 6850 only use 250W?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

That 500W estimate includes the entire system with a bit of a buffer. At 100% load the Radeon 6850 itself draws less than 150W. See here for an example.

3939.png

#10 ryladine

ryladine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

That 500W estimate includes the entire system with a bit of a buffer. At 100% load the Radeon 6850 itself draws less than 150W. See here for an example.

Ah! Thank you for clearing that up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users