Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2000 Making Duplicates Of Files

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Kara

Kara

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

Hello I wasn't quite sure if this is where I should post this question but as I cannot find an actual "Windows Server 2000" topic board I was hoping this was the right place. I'll try to explain this without writing a book.

Basically I am having issues with a server at a high school. It has about 100 workstations total, has active directory set up, as well as roaming profiles. What is happening is the server is making copies of files/shortcuts and naming them with this scheme

"%filename% (%username% v1)"

or possibly v2 instead of v1 at the end. In many cases the file will be copied many times over resulting in this:

"%filename% (%username% v1) (%username% v1) (%username% v1)"

So the last part is repeating itself several times over. These files and shortcuts are duplicated on the actual workstation as well.

This problem so far is isolated to the teacher's profiles who are all in the same security group in active directory which leads me to believe that it could be a sychronization issue with their roaming profiles. All the research I have done has lead me nowhere fast, and I was hoping that someone out there has heard of this issue and knows how to resolve it. I've looked on microsoft.com and google'd/yahoo'ed the heck out of every variation of searches I can come up with to no avail. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. The last time I did a search for files on the server that followed this format I found over 5300, so needless to say they are taking up lots of space.

And one other note, I mentioned that the duplicates are files and shortcuts alike, such as one teacher had 5 copies of the shortcut to her floppy drive! And of course, not many of them are too happy when 3 shortcuts to the same program suddenly appear on their desktop.

I'll be grateful for any tips or suggestions, thanks ahead of time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users