Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OMG I just bombed the whole startup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 minnetonka

minnetonka

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

I was browsing this forum this afternoon and saw something about chkdsk and adding /a and /f (or something like that . . . ), so entered it in start>run. Pressed enter and it said it'd run on next restart. On restart, the splash screen came up, but then went black. I've tried F8 and also booting from Windows DVD. I was able to ask it to start in last known good config, but got same results. Using Windows DVD, I picked Repair, but didn't know what to put for path, so tried "1" which described C: Then it wants a floppy for automated sys configuration--I have no floppy and it wouldn't use the DVD. Then it's asking for admin password. I have two written down, but neither worked. Anytime it says to boot up WinXP Pro, it just starts the black screen cycle again.

I've been at this for an hour and running out of ways to get booted up normally! What can I do? Thanks!! (borrowing husband's computer to write)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 minnetonka

minnetonka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Just realized it was "chkdsk /f /r" I entered in start>run On restart, it put up the black screen and I left it for nearly two hours before deciding something might be wrong. If you click on my name, it should should my computer stats that I entered for forum use.

OK, I restarted again and got to screen where I could choose "disable auto restart on system failure" it came up with two choices: Win XP Pro or Recovery Console (which I tried previously). Got Black screen. Restarted and got same screen, but it then automatically flipped to screen with choices of: safe mode, safe mode w/ network, safe mode w/ command prompt, last known good config, start normally. I pressed enter on start normally, but screen froze.

Edited by minnetonka, 01 December 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Back up, slow down and regroup.
Your posts are extremely hard to follow.

Take a deep breath and post your issue from start to finish in plain English please.
The clearer your post, the more the probability that your issue can be resolved.

Thanks!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 minnetonka

minnetonka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

This time on restart and DEL for options, I picked Recovery Console again. Enter and says 1: C:\Windows and "which Windows installation would you like to log onto? It only lets you enter one character and I've tried "1" and "C", but then it wants the stupid administrator password, which neither works and after three tries you are out! Sigh.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

As I said back up, regroup and slow down.

Please do not do anything without clarifying further

1 What happened?
2 What attempt did you make to correct it

Having little or no information does not help us to help you
Also please post make.model of the system

Edited by Eyesee, 02 December 2011 - 12:09 AM.

#6 minnetonka

minnetonka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

Please do not do anything without clarifying further
1 What happened?
2 What attempt did you make to correct it

You are so right--I was and am in complete PC-panic and after my last post last night, just threw in the towel and went to bed. Having a few problems with this computer too, so took me a long time this morning to get back to the post.

What happened? I was browsing the XP forum yesterday afternoon and saw something about chkdsk and using it as
"chkdsk /f /r", so entered it in start>run. Pressed enter and it said computer was busy, but it could run on next restart. I closed all programs and on restart, the splash screen came up, but then screen went black.

What did I do to try to correct: on reboot, I've tried F8, Delete and also booting from Windows DVD. I was able to ask it to start in last known good config, but got same results. Then I rebooted using Windows XP DVD, and
picked Recovery Console. On enter and says 1: C:\Windows and "which Windows installation would you like to log onto? It only lets you enter one character and I've tried "1" and "C", but then it asks for administrator password, I have two written down and neither works. After three attempts it restarts. Then I tried reinstalling Windows. On Enter, I had option to press "R" for recovery, but then it wants a floppy for automated sys configuration--I have no floppy and it wouldn't use the DVD. In the meantime, anytime I can get it to boot to a screen that asks whether to boot up WinXP Pro, it just starts brings back the black screen again.

On one of the reboots, I got to screen where I could choose "disable auto restart on system failure" it came up with two choices: Win XP Pro or Recovery Console (which I tried previously). Got same Black screen. Restarted and got same screen, but it then automatically switched to a screen with choices of: safe mode, safe mode w/ network, safe mode w/ command prompt, last known good config, start normally. I pressed enter on start normally, but screen froze and went black.

I don't have my PC stats, config written down, but yesterday entered it all on my profile page. If you click my avatar, you will see it all. I'm also SOL if I have to use Admin password since what I had written down doesn't work.

Is there a way to get to a command line screen and enter something? Everything was fine until I ran the
chkdsk /f /r" Also, I tried to boot to Safe Mode, but got a screen full of code only and no other action.

#7 minnetonka

minnetonka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

I received a reply from Andrew saying:
chkdsk /f /r tells the computer to perform a completely thorough and exhaustive check of the hard drive. It's not at all uncommon for such a check to take several hours to complete, especially if it finds things that it has to fix. The larger your hard drive is, the longer it will take. When it's running, your screen should be all black with which text showing the progress of the check. Unless chkdsk finds things to fix it should just show which step it's on and the progress of the current step. If it finds things to fix then chkdsk will spit out obscure messages which relate to what it's fixing (e.g. "Deleting an index entry with Id 259 from index $SII of file 9.") So my advice is to let it run for as long as it needs. It may take the better part of a day if the drive is very large or if there are a lot of things that need fixing. I tend to think that if you let it run overnight you'll wake up to a login screen.

The problem is that even when it initially ran almost three hours last, there was never any text showing the progress--not even a blinking cursor--just a black screen. I restarted again after last post, and on reboot, it's sitting there "on" but just a blank, black screen. Just seems to me it never did run and now I'm just hoping to get some advice on getting back to normal. Thanks.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

<<This time on restart and DEL for options, I picked Recovery Console again. Enter and says 1: C:\Windows and "which Windows installation would you like to log onto? It only lets you enter one character and I've tried "1" and "C", but then it wants the stupid administrator password, which neither works and after three tries you are out!>>

To run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console (/f parameter is unnecessary, since it's part of /r parameter)...once you are in the Recovery Console, etner 1 and hit Enter.

On the password line, just hit Enter...don't type anything.

The command should begin and reflect onscreen progress.

When the command is complete, it will show a summary screen which can be ignored.

Type EXIT to leave the Recovery Console and then hit Enter. System reboots into Windows.

Louis

#9 minnetonka

minnetonka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thank you for the information hamluis. I got the Recovery Console Screen up. Typed 1 and pressed Enter.
On the "Enter Administrator Password" line, I didn't type anything, just pressed Enter
The message is Invalid Password, please enter a valid password.
I pressed Enter two more times.
Then it said I'd entered wrong password three times and only choice given was to press Enter to restart computer.
I pressed Enter and after it rebooted, it's now still just hung up on the completely blank, black screen.

I could kill myself for not testing the administrator passwords I'd written down--there's plenty of articles on how to recover, and I just ignored thinking, "oh I don't need that."

If I only had a brain!

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

Was there a particular reason why you decided to run chkdsk?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

System manufacturer and model?

If you have a MS Genuine XP install CD...I would just try a repair install of XP, after changing BIOS boot options so that the system boots from the optical drive, not the hard drive.

I'm not sure what you did...but it sounds to me as if there is more to this than you are stating. I too would like to know what you made you decide to run the chkdsk /r command...at the moment you decided to do so.

FWIW: Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503 AND Black screen on boot (no cursor) - Microsoft Answers - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/black-screen-on-boot-no-cursor/892d155a-aadb-4e54-8e59-edf98b0ed020

Louis

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

Like Evie I am still not clear in the first place what the real issue is that prompted you to run chkdsk in the first place.

Please post system manufacturer and model as requested as that information is pretty much essential for us to assist you.
We have to know what system we are dealing with

Also, you are still panicing!
Quit that and take it in a cool, calm, collected manner.
It makes it hard to understand your posts and what the probelm was.

We know what your problem is now

The admin password in the recovery console, as mentioned is nothing.
There isnt one. Hit enter

But, again, why are we going through all this in the first place?
What was the initial problem?

#13 minnetonka

minnetonka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

I run chkdsk fairly often, but for some reason, when I saw the post recommending that someone run "chkdsk /f /r" I thought that sounded like a great idea. I usually know better than to run something I'm not familiar with, but not this time.--it just seemed like "uber" chkdsk. Everyone's given me such excellent advice (especially thank you for telling me to stop the panic tone). I have tried everything advised, but never got beyond black, hanging screen. This is no longer the sliced-bread computer it was when originally built, so I do try to take care of it and don't just download a bunch of crap.

As I said earlier, I don

I have no idea what to do (if anything) about the original OS. It was about midnight when I finally got internet connectivity and restored my Thunderbird, but lost several weeks of email. Since then, I've tried to choose the original Win XP on restart, but it's always just a black screen. Someone said there has to be more to this than meets the eye, and I couldn't agree more. Did a commit major foobar by installing the second OS? No partitioning or virtual drives-- I just ran a fresh Belarc report and will paste under. If I'm toasted, or about to be, let me know since it's going to take days to get back to "normal" here and don't want to waste my time only to crash and burn completely . . . . Thank you so much for the help. At least I'm back on own computer now w/ email.

Computer Profile Summary Computer Name: christin-2e2c7c (in EPPLEY HOME) — Eppley Home Profile Date: Saturday, December 03, 2011 9:50:38 AM Advisor Version: 8.2f Windows Logon: Administrator
Plan for your next computer refresh...
click for Belarc's System Management products
Operating System new – server roles System Model Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 12/2/2011 5:25:08 PM
ASUSTek Computer Inc. K8N-E-Deluxe Processor a Main Circuit Board b 2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'K8N-E-Deluxe' Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1010.003 07/01/2005
new USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) new Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details) Last Used Canon MP460Storage -- drive 3, rev 0103 12/3/2011 8:50:40 AM Seagate FreeAgent Go -- drive 2, s/n 2GE38DVP, rev 102F 12/3/2011 8:50:39 AM None discovered Drives new – drive encryption Memory Modules c,d 720.15 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
438.14 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D [Optical drive]
SONY CD-RW CRX230EE [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Canon MP460Storage USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
MAXTOR STM3320620A [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9RV04025, rev 3.AAE, SMART Status: Healthy
Seagate FreeAgent Go USB Device [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 2
ST380013A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 1, s/n 5JVHEZMN, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy
2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes new – volume encryption

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 320.06 GB 146.55 GB free

d: (NTFS on drive 1) 80.02 GB 37.56 GB free

h: (NTFS on drive 2) 320.07 GB 254.02 GB free

* Operating System is installed on c:
Network Drives None discovered Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers local user accountslast logon file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/trans.gif Administrator 12/3/2011 8:51:29 AM (admin) local system accounts file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/trans.gif Christine Eppley never (admin) file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/no.gif Guest never
file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/no.gif HelpAssistant never
file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/trans.gif IUSR_CHRISTIN-2E2C7C 12/3/2011 12:17:55 AM
file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/trans.gif IWAM_CHRISTIN-2E2C7C 12/2/2011 6:17:16 PM
file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/no.gif SUPPORT_388945a0 never

file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/no.gif Marks a disabled account; file:///C%7C/Program%20Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/lock.gif Marks a locked account
Canon MP460 Printer on USB001 Controllers Display Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x)
None discovered Bus Adapters Multimedia NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller (2x)
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (2x)
MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port
Virus Protection [Back to Top] Group Policies avast! Antivirus Version 5.0.100664663 Virus Definitions Version Up To Date Realtime File Scanning On None discovered Communications new – connection speed & status Other Devices HSP56 Micromodem

1394 Net Adapter ↑ RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2 primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.3 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:22:3F:A7:FD:2C RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2 - Jumpstart Wireless Intermediate Driver RangeMax Wireless-N USB Adapter WN111v2 - Wireless Intermediate Driver Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID UPS Battery
Logitech Driver Interface (6x)
American Power Conversion USB UPS
HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
HID-compliant device (5x)
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying device (3x)
Logitech Unifying USB receiver
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
Canon MP460
HID Keyboard Device
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse
USB Composite Device (2x)
USB Mass Storage Device (2x)
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (6x)

Software Versions & Usage (mouse over i for details, click i for location) [Back to Top] ı i addpcs.com - Temp File Cleaner Version 3.1.1
i Adobe Systems, Inc. - Shockwave Flash Version 10,3,183,11
ı i Atheros Communications, Inc. - JumpStart Version 5.0.0.0
ı i Atheros Configuration Service (ACS) Version 7.0.2.28
i avast! antivirus Version 6.0.1367.0
ı i Belarc, Inc. - Advisor Version 8.2f
ı i Canon IJ Driver Uninstaller Version 1.1
i Cinematronics - 3D Pinball Version 5.1.2600.5512
ı i ContextMenu.exe
ı i Dropbox Version 1.1.35
ı i Leader Technologies/Logitech - PowerReg Version 1.38
ı i Logitech SetPoint Version 5.33.14
ı i Logitech SetPoint Version 6.32.7