Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extracting a file to external HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wjason777

wjason777

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

I have a WD 1TB external hdd. When I extract files to it, its almost as if the file has to be extracted twice, once when I extract if with winrar and once when its saving to the HDD. When I extract the same file to my internal HDD it only does it once. It almost as if I have to go through a extra step and more time to save files to my external HDD then I would if I want to save to my internal HDD. I would like to post picture to help explain.

Edited by wjason777, 01 December 2011 - 09:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Not sure what you mean by "extract".

You either move or dopy files to another partition/drive...the only time I ever see "extract" is when I have a compressed file (like a .zip file) and then I'm asked if I want to extract the contents before trying to run the program.

Louis

#3 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Yes it is a .rar file that I opened with winrar. And the file itself is on the same drive that I'm extracting it to. Is there a way I could post a pic?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

OK, now I see what you mean :)...I don't need a graphic because it happened to me today.

I ran into that phenomenon (two windows for extracting a .zip file) today and I don't recall it happening before. I didn't think anything of it and it happened again when I downloaded/extracted a second .zip file.

I run XP, 32-bit...and I wasn't extracting to an external drive but to my C: partition.

I have no explanation why I had to click the same screens...but the program installed and that's all I cared about.

Louis

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

The usual extracting of files is done internally, depending on the contents. Unzipped back-up files on external storage could always be extract on situation when needed to be used internally. You would saved more space on unzipped files.

Tekken

#6 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

But what I still dont get is how come it does it on the external but not the internal

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Because the external is tagged in windows as removable therefor it gets handled differently.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Is there a way I could change that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic