Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No HDD boot after new power supply

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HDScooterBoy

HDScooterBoy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

My computer started blinking out a few times, and then quit and would not turn on. I decided it was the power supply, went to Best Buy and bought an off-the-shelf power supply and installed it. My computer is a Dell XPS 400 and originally had a 375W power supply, and I replaced it with a Dynex 400W power supply. I was able to get it to boot up to Windows (7) just once, although not on the first boot. Currently when I start the computer, I get past the splash screen, and then reach a black screen with the blinking underscore in the upper left corner of the screen. At one point, while the computer was sitting on, I heard a series of clicks, but it had no effect on the blank screen. Could a difference of 25W make a difference? I would think slightly more wattage wouldn't be a bad thing, but wonder now. Does anybody have any ideas? Your help is most appreciated!

Thank you,
Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

Run a diagnostic test for the hard drive.

Tekken

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Not all power supplies are created equal. Cheap power supplies deliver erratic voltage ranges that some hardware cannot handle. I have a brand new Retail Plus bought at Staples that will not run anything. I returned it and they gave my another that sits in the box it came in gathering dust because it will not run anything either.

The wattage is fine, only less wattage than what you require will cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users