Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router problems.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tahnvalas

Tahnvalas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hello all.

I have quite the head-scratcher this morning. My old wireless d-link router died two weeks ago so I decided to buy the wireless-N Monoprice router. While I was waiting for the shipment to get here, I plugged in an another old D-link router (non-wireless) which worked just fine over ethernet.

I've received the new router a week ago, but after installation, I was getting a very slow wired internet speed. My home network was working just fine but the internet was slow. I did not even screw with the wireless... I asked Monoprice about it, and after some questions, they just RMA'd it.

So yesterday I got the new unit. And, behold, same problem: slow internet over ethernet but fast network over ethernet. I've also tried the wireless (which is what I'm using right now with my second computer) and, very suprisingly, everything is going great: fast internet, fast network. I've tried some torrents and I'm getting FULL speed. I've also tried the wired ethernet on another computer (same network) and it also browses slow as hell.

So, I'm stumped...

d-link non wireless router: fast speeds.

monoprice wireless router:
- internet over wireless: FAST
- network over wireless: FAST
- network over ethernet: FAST
- internet over ethernet: SLOW (dial-up speeds...)

Thanks for any help...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Have you tried different ports, ethernet cable? The manual would guide you if you have set the router correctly on your modem.

Tekken

#3 Tahnvalas

Tahnvalas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

Yeah. I checked the cable. And tried another one (even though the other router worked fine). I've also tried ports one through four. And since the wireless works fine, how could the router not be correctly set?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Check LAN settings by going to control panel - Internet options - Connections tab - LAN settings. Make sure only Automatically detect settings is the only option checked.

Tekken

#5 Tahnvalas

Tahnvalas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Already checked... it was already checked.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Have you tried directly connecting by your ISP modem? Please post the computer and router model? Run also Minitool box, guidelines to be followed here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic398507.html . Connect by the router on LAN before running Minitool box.

Tekken

#7 Tahnvalas

Tahnvalas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

I have not connected directly to the modem considering the fact that it worked with the wired d-link and that my wireless laptop works fine on the net.

The router is the Monoprice "Wireless 802.11N Router w/ WPS & WISP Function (300Mbps)" (product ID 8070). My computer(s) are custom built running windows 7. My laptop is runnin' XP however. Maybe 7 could be the culprit? I will run Minitool tomorrow when I get a minute. I'll be back with the results. Thanks!

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:30 AM

I see online that it has Gateway, Bridge and WISP mode. Try choosing Gateway mode on your router as default.

Tekken

#9 supawiz6991

supawiz6991

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:22 AM

Have you made any changes to your router? QoS maby?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users