Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Speed Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

When I first connect to the internet everything is fine for about a minute and runs smoothly at 54Mbps but then it gradually drops until It hits 1 Mbps and when this happens it takes ages for any page to load and as you can imagine it becomes extremely annoying.

At first I thought that maybe I was infected as it originally started happening on this system with my Win7 installation so now I have formatted the drive and redone it with a fresh inst5all of XP Professional.

It would be greatfu7lly appreciated if someone could help me with this very annoying problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Is Win 7 the only O/S you have installed?

You posted in the XP forum :).

Louis

#3 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

|I have b oth Win7 and XP but this problem persists with both os'es

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Are you sure its 54 mbps is what you are subscribed? Or just the network card capability or running? You will usually know what is your current bandwith speed tby looking at your billing statement. Run a speedtest on both machine and post the result - http://speedtest.net/

Tekken

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hi -
I just did the test linked by jhayz and returned 1.50 Mbps download (Max) - It is slow by world standards, but it is quite reasonable for general use.
Needless to say, I am changing ISPs in 2 weeks to increase my download speeds and hope get 5 Mbps (plus extra data) plus 1Mbps upload speed -

I can only dream of 54 Mbps ever being my speed - - - - - (Live in Australia and pay top rates for slowest service available) -
Follow the checklist at the top of the XP area and clean/ defrag/ Use Disk Cleanup/ run your A/virus and SUPERAntiSpyware etc. etc. and general good housekeeping.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users