Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to prevent kids from using webcam without an adult present?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ANWD

ANWD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

I want to create a guide for parents to prevent their kids from using the computer's webcam when the parents aren't present. My idea is to implement a nationwide, or even worldwide, webcam safety feature. I began by asking myself (and other people) the easiest way to prevent one's kids from using a webcam. An answer I got was:

1. Disable the webcam in device manager.

This is decent, and can be done quickly, but tech savvy kids can figure out how to re-enable it. It isn't secure enough.

I want kids to have to type a password to use the webcam. So when a parent is home and in the room, the parent can type the password to start the webcam for the kids. But I want this to feature to be available in every Windows computer that already exists, so parents do not have to install anything new to get it started.

I have been brainstorming, and I think the answer is in user accounts. But in order for this feature to be as easy as possible, the setting needs to be in place by default when a new computer is bought. I created a new user account which would be my mock "child account." I fired up the webcam, and the webcam started immediately. This isn't safe, because most parents are not going to take the time to figure out how to secure the webcam with a password. It's just too complicated for the average user. To actually make a significant impact on child safety and gain widespread use Microsoft needs to deny access to the webcam by default on non-administrative accounts.

Access is already denied when trying to install programs, delete certain files, and even run the battery manager on a laptop. Why on earth are non-administrative users allowed to use the webcam? How difficult is it to deny access to the webcam as well? Why doesn't Microsoft do this by default to give parents a quick solution to protecting their children on their computer?

Punch a hole in that idea, and provide me with any ideas that might be better.

As it is, I am currently trying to deny access to my webcam without a password on my laptop, and all I've been able to do so far is disable the webcam in the device manager. This isn't good enough.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

what program are they using the webcam with?

#3 ANWD

ANWD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

Microsoft Life Cam, and I will set up a password if it has that option in the software somewhere, but I still want a solution that has broad application (not cam-specific), so I can write a guide for parents to follow the same steps. Basically I want people to be able to make their webcam safe within 15 minutes of reading the guide. This is another reason I think Microsoft should do something on their end to make the process of securing a webcam as quick and easy as possible. If it's too complicated, parents just won't do it.

If I can't do that, is there a way to specify applications that can't execute in non-admin accounts? Setting up a user account for other members of the house is easy, but Microsoft LifeCam executes without a password.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

unplug it and put it away. Or better yet, dont let them on the computer without supervision, a BIOS password is very effective.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

http://webcamsafety.org/
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

:thumbsup:

Eyesee: That is a wonderful Link that ALL Parents should show their children, no matter what their age, in a nice gentle supporting manner. I certainly have Bookmarked it and will pass it on to other Parents.

the_patriot11: Spot on advice, Mate. Password in the BIOS is the Killer. Bit hard for the little Gurus to get around that one.

:thumbup2:

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Though, I might add the best preventative is good parenting-because no matter what security software you use-including the BIOS password, can be got around and in todays world, kids are pretty smart. For example, my parents had a computer for my then 13 year old computer-but they didnt want him installing stuff on it without their permission or using it. So they put a bios password on it, and only gave him access to a user account (windows XP) without admin rights-and didnt give him the admin password either. Using youtube videos on a friends computer, he learned not only how to bypass the bios password, but how to bypass the admin password through safe mode. So my dad, disabled safe mode on his computer. So he then, learned how to hack it through ms dos prompt, to which he then had to disable that. kids are pretty smart. . .the best way to prevent stuff like your girls being taken advantage of over a webcam is through good parenting, and being involved in their lives.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

Absolutely right, that is why I love Eyesee's Link. That really gives parents a good tool to gently educate their kids of the dangers involved on the Net.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users