Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting down get error message program failure to close

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D3Badger

D3Badger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

When shutting down laptop, get Program Failure to Close windows. When I hit end process, it does shut down. I looked up some of the various ones I get (not same every time) and they appear to be part of system32 driver strings - I searched on 2 of them and they were in one of the blogs. 4e8 and 8d8 were 2 of the recent "programs that failed to close. Happens most every time I shut down. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Let's find out which specific programs are the problem

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

4e8 and 8d8 almost smack of a virus to me.

What Antivirus/antimalware programs do you have and when was the last time you checked the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 D3Badger

D3Badger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Use both Malwarebytes and Spybot and have been checking several times a week. No issues found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users