Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install Win XP SP2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jzz6q1

jzz6q1

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:34 PM

Hello! I am trying to help an unfortunate nieghbor get his computer functional. You guys helped me so much that I spoke radiantly about the professionalism and quality of help one can get on this website to some friends, and thus began a long journey to eradicate viruses, trojan horses and spyware from this guy's PC, and to load some programs to keep him from getting re-infected. You folks have helped him gain control back on his PC, which is almost beginning to work normally. He and I are very thankful for the help so far!

The latest news is that Win XP SP2 is not loading. It gets partially through the process and announces "access is denied". Then it has you click a box to back out all the changes it made over the past half hour.

Do you have any suggestions as to what might be going on? It's frustrating. My latest attempt was to download the SP2 image to disk and to invoke it locally. It then unpacked the downloaded update and unpacked it into a directory. Then it started the update process, which aborted after a half hour! Is there some security settings that might be tightened down that I can look for?

Another question for the gurus: What executable file in the SP2 directory would I double-click on in order to restart the update more quickly? What filename do I look for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:23 PM

About sp2 I would stay away. It has messed up my IE browser and when you uninstall it it will completely destroy your browser. I had to do a restore on my pc after I uninstalled it.
Just my opinion microsoft has not worked out the bugs...

#3 jzz6q1

jzz6q1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the reply, cows. I wouldn't have tried SO HARD to help jsbamt on getting this upgrade if SP2 hadn't loaded so flawlessly on my own computer. It works GREAT on my machine, and blocks all those irritating popup windows for me. I have ZERO complaints about SP2, and thankfully haven't had any of the problems that you and others seem to have encountered. I guess we will just forget it for now. Unless someone else has something I can try, we can consider this discussion topic CLOSED.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users