Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java Continues to be Hackers' Darling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:55 AM

Java's ubiquity combined with its propensity to stay out of date on a large chunk of its install base makes it an ideal target for hackers. This is enough to ensure that whenever the subject of third-party software vulnerabilities crops up for discussion Java is somewhere at the top of the ensuing list of those most vulnerable. According to the latest volume of Microsoft's Security Intelligence Report, Java was responsible for the largest number of attacks in the first half of 2011.

More: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/java_continues_be_hackers_darling

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

It's the internet element of Java that is of most concern. This is why by default I have Java disabled. I enable it only if there is a specific site that requires Java for it to function properly. In my case, that is very rare.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:18 AM

Thug, you're always first with the good news of the morning. :lol:

Orange Blossom, good morning and welcome to the weekend.

With regards to disabling Java, I'm afraid I've always been unclear as to how that is done. I primarily use FF - although I've IE and Chrome installed on my machine as well - is there a 'how-to' posted here at BC that would tell me how to go about doing that for FF, and/or the other browsers as well?

Everything is updated and patched (ran my Secunia this morning = 100%) but, if I'm reading Thug's post/links correctly, an updated Java still appears to be a concern, yes?

Any light you can shine in my direction would be greatly appreciate.

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:26 AM

Thug, you're always first with the good news of the morning. :lol:

Just tellin' it like it is lol! :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic