Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up ethernet driver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#1 purplewarrior

purplewarrior

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

Hello guys,
Lets suppose that I decided to format my system. After the format all drivers will be lost and xp CD installs some of them. And I think the best way to get the remaining drivers is through internet by going to the manufacturers website. But to get internet access I need to have the Ethernet driver installed my computer. So I want to know how to back up my Ethernet driver. Thanks in advance. :cold:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

It should be reinstalled with the XP CD -

#3 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hi nokonjon,
Thanks for your reply. But i wanna know something more. Are you sure that windows xp CD will install them?(To be more specific a REALTEK Ethernet driver) I asked the same question somewhere else and they gave different answers 2 weeks ago. So please do a little research and reply back. Thanks for spending ur time on helping me.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,999 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:58 AM

I think the best way to get the remaining drivers is through internet by going to the manufacturers website.

That's correct. Download the appropriate drivers for your system to a CD, flashdrive or whatever before re-formatting.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

Hi platypus,
Hope you didnt understand my question properly. I am asking that "How to back up my ethernet driver onto a CD or is it unnecessary because the guy above you tells that Win XP CD will install the Ethernet driver too". Hope you understood it now.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

The OS will provide minimal support for all of your hardware without any additional drivers. After installing the OS you can download and install all drivers, starting with the chipset driver. Yes, you will be able to get online before you install the driver. But keep in mind you can always download all drivers in advance, put them on a flash drive, then install them after you install the OS.

#7 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:21 AM

Hello Allan,
Still my question is unanswered, LOL. I wanna know exactly whether windows xp installation CD will install an Ethernet driver(REALTEK) or not? And also you said that I can get online before installing the ethernet driver, Hows that possible? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,999 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

You cannot assume Windows XP will always have a driver for every device. That's why I agreed with your statement that the correct thing to do is obtain the XP driver from the device manufacturer's support website. If you do this beforehand while the system still has the current driver operational, you avoid the chicken-and-egg situation of needing to download the driver before you can download the driver.

If you want to check whether the current driver was installed with XP (hence will be installed automatically with the XP re-install), right click on the Ethernet controller in the Network adapters section of Device Manager and select Properties. On the Driver tab, an XP driver should have Microsoft as the Provider, a date around 2001/2002 and a Version starting with 5. something.

If you really want to back up the driver installation from the existing Windows, there are utilities whose purpose is to do this for you, but I have never used them myself, so cannot make any recommendation as to their use, but other members may be able to comment on that.

#9 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hi Platypus,
Thanks for that useful post. Thanks a ton. It's microsoft in the provider, so does that mean that the driver is installed by microsoft windows xp CD? Thanks anyways but please dont close this topic yet, Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

Edited by purplewarrior, 01 December 2011 - 06:53 AM.

#10 purplewarrior

purplewarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

Now most of my doubts are clarified, but the only thing I wanna know is what does Allan want to say in his post? I just couldnt get it. What does he mean by saying I can get online without a driver too. Waiting for a reply :cold:

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,999 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:14 AM

Is it Version 5.x.xx etc and dated around 2002? If not, you can't safely assume it's the driver that was installed from the XP CD. If the XP is a later release (eg SP2) the driver date could be later, but there's less certainty. Unfortunately, I've never found a listing of the generic drivers provided with Win XP, and such a listing still wouldn't guarantee a driver for Realtek LAN would definitely work on your board.

(Another source of driver info is NirSoft DriverView, but I don't think it gives any more info than Device Manager, just convenient: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html)

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

If you post the make/model of the system we can give you a link to the corect drivers for your system.
If the NIC is a Realtek8139 family XP will probably install it correctly. But never assume anything!

Its best to have all drivers ready beforehand and install the chipset first, as has been mentioned.
Then you can burn them all onto cd in case you ever need them in the future.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 thefr34k

thefr34k

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

Oh man I see a possible issue here. Most of the time XP out of the box does not come with a compatible Ethernet driver, and on fresh install you will not be able to access the internet. Sometimes it works like noknojon said, usually it does not.

Here is the steps for getting your driver:
Find the model number of your computer it should be on a sticker somewhere.
Log on to the manufactures website for drivers
Dell - support.dell.com (Drivers and Downloads top left)
HP - support.hp.com (Must enter the model number in the box)

Other vendors are very similar.

Follow the website to pick your operating system (Windows XP) and download the network driver.

If you need any help just let me know and I can describe in more detail. Just let me know where you get stuck.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hi P/w -
I have just reinstalled my XP Pro SP2, and then updated ALL drivers and M/soft updates, after the reinstall.
Now I have a fully updated XP Pro SP3, with all current drivers updated and installed.
Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller is my computers Internal internet device. Realtec is an installed internet card (Hardware).
This device is part of your computer, and not part of your reinstall XP CD. It is Built In to your computer.
This is like asking ""if your screen will appear after a reinstall"" - Same screen ?? Yes it still works !!
Unless you replace the hardware device, you will still have the same device, only some drivers may need updating.

Thank You -

#15 thefr34k

thefr34k

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Realtec PCIe GBE Family Controller is my computers Internal internet device. Realtec is an installed internet card (Hardware).
This is true but hardware needs software instructions in order to run. Occasionally Windows XP will detect the hardware automatically and use generic drivers to operate the hardware, in most cases the generic drivers are not adequate enough to operate the hardware

This is like asking ""if your screen will appear after a reinstall"" - Same screen ?? Yes it still works !!
Sure it will still work - in VGA only mode with limited screen resolution and color options. You will have screen 'tearing' until you install appropriate drivers for your exact device. again there are generic drivers to operate the graphics card and then there are the drivers specific to the card that can take full advantage of its capabilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users