Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows System Image

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

I have a WD My Passport 1tb external hard drive. I really want to create a system image on this drive for peace of mind. However, every time I try to do it, it starts up and then fails.

I get the error message

The operation failed due to a device error encountered with either the source or the destination. If the source or destination volume is on a disk, run CHKDSK /R on the source or destination volume, and then retry the operation. (0x8078012D)

Additional Information:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D).

I tried the CHKDKS /r but it hasn't done anything, I still get the error. I haven't found anything useful on google either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

This is common on WD passport drives. Try using a different usb port. If the device has a power switch turn it on/off with each different port. Usually it will connect after a few tries.

The other option is to disassemble the drives enclosure and connect the drive using another enclosure.

#3 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Ya, I tried all the USB ports. My external hard drive with unbuntu 11.04 messed up royally, so maybe I'll just put it on the WD now and use the other one for backup.

#4 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

Okay I reformatted an on old drive from a laptop that basically fried. I ran the backup again, and it still failed with the same error message. I really don't know what to do.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Try a program like Macrium Reflecct Free to make a backup image, http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx .

Louis

#6 Stephen Miller

Stephen Miller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

Well I actually got all the WD stuff to work properly, I am not sure what I did or how I did it, but I backed up my files and created a system image.

I also got EaseUS for backups as well and did that as well. :)

Now I have some peace of mind and I can try to reinstall Ubuntu on my other hard drive.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users