Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buffer Overrun Detected?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi :woot:

Earlier today i was surfing the internets like usual, then from out of nowhere my computer gave me a message. What does it mean, and what should be done? I already have plans to reinstall my hard drive sometime in the near future, but not right now.

Attached File  c01756371.jpg   33.29KB   7 downloads

Please help!

Edited by Curious Mew, 30 November 2011 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Worth a look, http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/Need-help-please/td-p/4760 .

I occasionally get similar warnings about buffer overruns, but without any program specified and nothing about corruption. Mine usually occur on random webpages I may go to and I just leave that page and move on without any problems.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms717795(v=vs.85).aspx

Louis

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

What hamluis said. Just my 2 cents : Buffer overrun indicates basically a bug in the program. The programmer allocated insufficient memory for some data when designing the program. Possibly the program was designed for some other version of Windows and now memory is being handled differently causing the error. The only thing you can do is is try to update the drivers for your touch device.

#4 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

What hamluis said. Just my 2 cents : Buffer overrun indicates basically a bug in the program. The programmer allocated insufficient memory for some data when designing the program. Possibly the program was designed for some other version of Windows and now memory is being handled differently causing the error. The only thing you can do is is try to update the drivers for your touch device.

Hmm.. very interesting! But i rarely use the touchpad, i only use it as a last resort to my wireless mouse. I did not consent to this naughty behavior possibly exhibited by my touchpad. The warning came out of nowhere.. :blink:

Edited by Curious Mew, 01 December 2011 - 02:51 AM.

#5 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

Worth a look, http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/TouchSmart-PC/Need-help-please/td-p/4760 .

I occasionally get similar warnings about buffer overruns, but without any program specified and nothing about corruption. Mine usually occur on random webpages I may go to and I just leave that page and move on without any problems.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms717795(v=vs.85).aspx

Louis

Thank you for your response B) There were some helpful tips found in here, though the term "Buffer Overrun" tends to fly over my head. It doesn't seem like much of a security risk..

Edited by Curious Mew, 01 December 2011 - 02:43 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Like Romeo said...I tend to think of notifications of "buffer overruns" as indicative of bad coding on that webpage, since moving on to a different website eliminates the warnings.

I think of them in the same manner that I treat "script errors".

I always feel pretty sure that I have no security issues, so that aspect (attempted exploit) doesn't concern me.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users