Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning how to program

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 PaCarlton

PaCarlton

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

I have a thirteen year old son who has only ever used commercial software on his PC. I would like him to learn some programming skills to help him understand how a computer operates and how to discover that you can make it do the things that you want it to (sorry, a bit of a mixed up sentence there).

Have any of you got any ideas on what the best language would be for him to start with and what would be the best book or DVD for him to start with? Should he start with operating systems and if so, what is the best way of learning about them?

Thanks for any help you can give. Your thoughts (and experiences) will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

I used Alice to teach middle-schoolers programming basics. The actual constructs of the language (which happens to be Java) are hidden behind a drag and drop interface. The benefit is that kids can create animations in a short period of time where they would be otherwise be bored trying to learn the structure and syntax of a particular language to do some trivial task.

All of the software is free, and there are tons of free online tutorials available to get them started.

#3 PaCarlton

PaCarlton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

That sounds great, thanks.

As it says in the tag, "Hail Groovicus!"

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

And for when your son gets older, I would recommend that he learn the ins and outs of the C# language. I'm learning that right now, and though it has a lot to it, the deeper you go, the more you learn. I have so many ideas that I plan to put into action that it's not even funny. and not to mention, the power of the .net/Mono frameworks is a great knowledge to have.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 Minh Triet Pham Tran

Minh Triet Pham Tran

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

You should tell him to learn Python, there are many free ebooks and tutorials, it is also easy to learn.

Here is a link for kid:
Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python - Learn how to program with a free ebook programming tutorial
http://inventwithpython.com/

You should also reference the following links:
BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers - PythonInfo Wiki
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

Teaching Kids Programming | The Baheyeldin Dynasty
http://baheyeldin.com/technology/teaching-kids-programming.html

Edited by Minh Triet Pham Tran, 07 January 2012 - 04:38 PM.

If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology. Bruce Schneier

#6 timnoeat

timnoeat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

I would suggest to start with html and then php, c# or java. I'm using php and c# but I think java has a better future as the mobile applications like Android is written in java.

#7 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

There is no best language for him to learn. The trouble with these threads they tend to bring out each users preferred language. The framework is massive and always getting bigger. But then will get users posting c# is better then VB.net, which holds as much water as a bucket with a hole in. Introduce your son to a few languages and see which he prefers. Arguably VB is the easiest. If he chooses VB make sure strict is on by default.

Bottom line is the more languages your son knows. The more desirable he is to employers. Take a look at www.wrox.com for books.

Edited by ident, 07 May 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#8 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hello,
Well when I was 14 I made a application in visual BASIC, it's a basic program language and ita really simple like
webbrowser.goforward and such
I am a 17 year old now and learning C# so good luck with your son! :D make it look fun.. If you dont he wont even care untill he's like 16 :/
Thanks
Chris A

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#9 some1special

some1special

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

Start with w3schools and html/js/php combo.
This will give him great advantage, because he will learn the basics of online and offline programming

#10 FBREK

FBREK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

If you want him to learn about how a computer operates then maybe he should learn assembly, there's some free ebooks to learn from here:
http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/index.php
http://www.plantation-productions.com/Webster/

But also i think Minh Triet Pham Tran's post is good because learning python is considered an easy start point for programming and there's a lot of tutorials on making games in python.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users