Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I do when my computer has been hacked?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jemshads

Jemshads

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

How do I restore my computer (HP, not a mac) back to factory settings & everything after a hack? it is not my email i am talking about, it's my whole computer!! I have tried to restore it back to normal/erase everything, but that isn't working. Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

What version of Windows are you running so that we can move you to the proper forum?

Are you interested in trying to repair your OS with malware help or not? We can assist with that if you want to go that route, before losing everything.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

I have tried to restore it back to normal/erase everything, but that isn't working

Also advise us exactly what steps you took to do that.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 alijayadv

alijayadv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Watch for trolls in these answers and check everything out first!!

Delete System32 is a popular trolling scheme used to hoax inexperienced PC users into deleting the Windows system directory called System32. It is essential to the running of Windows OS and without it, the computer would not work at all.

I would try and back-up whatever you still can (files, pictures, e-mails etc.), then delete all of your own files, and then, provided you have all the original disks, clean your disc completely. Check here:
ehow.com/how_5754254_clean-erase-hard-drive-hp.html
computerhope.com/issues/ch000186.htm

if not sure, have someone who knows do it for you.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

Watch for trolls in these answers and check everything out first!!

Thank you for that suggestion. We as a staff along with our regular membership monitor post reply content. We remove and or correct unsafe or risky suggestions when it has been identified and or reported. The quality and accuracy of our information and content, is of paramount importance to the overall integrity of Bleeping Computer as a help site.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users