Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywarestrike - Info & Help Needed...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hey there everyone,

Firstly am very sorry for posting yet another comment as have seen this is a problem which lots of people have been discussing.

Basically think Ive got the same problem as everyone else. I somehow picked up this virus 2 days ago & now can't get rid of it. (Recently read that theres a v3 on the loose now, not sure which I would have)

I ran an updated version of 'AVG' and also of 'AdAware' by Lavasoft. The AdAware programme found the malware (sorry im not very good with computers so don't know if am using correct terminology) and deleted it, but as per usual on reboot the little box still popped up in the bottom right hand corner of my desktop. Not sure if it will automatically reinstall SpywareStrike or if I have to click on it for that to happen.

Naturally I want to remove it as soon as possible, but having read some internet news sites they say manually removing the product may open me up to a whole host of new malware.

So basically (seeing as that there seems to be loads of different ways in dealing with this am a bit overwhelmed at the mo with all the different replies tbh) I was wondering if anyone could please help me with this. Do I wait for someone like AVG or AdAware to come up with an up-date which will automatically remove it or is there a safe way to remove this product which you guys thoroughly recommend? Generally in the past the Spyware programmes (only those 2 free ones) have sufficed and don't really wanna go tempering too much with my computer manually if means will then start to find myself up to further attacks (simply as don't have time or the skill to mess with it too much), so if you can recommend a safe solution that would be great. Maybe theres even another Spyware programme out there which I really should be running, that you guys may know of...

I saw a link mentioned to download and run the following programme:
-www.downloads.subratam.org/smitRem.exe
Shall I download and run that, does it work etc?

Does anyone recommend any of the following guides?
- http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-spywarestrike.html
- http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000248.html

If somebody could just supply me with one simple method that would be greatly appreciated!! Am not hugely great with computers so if it could be kept fairly simple to understand that would be doubley appreciated =) Naturally if someone has already posted the most up-to-date way of deleting this programme then I would be happy if you just copy and pasted your answer.

Seriously thanks very much people, am kinda at my wits ends at the moment, you know how it is, some fregging virus continually slowing your computer almost to a holt, drives you nutts.

I eagerly await some trustworthy information.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Kjaer
PS: As you can see this is my first post on here, so if some advice could be given on who to trust with regards to answers that too would be hugely appreciated - hopefully you're all fairly decent on here. Last thing want is some rogue member supplying me with blatantly dangerous tips.
PPS: Please feel free to PM or email me, am totally easy going bout that. Cheers guys ; )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:43 AM

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log to the HJT Forum.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Try running the following from safe mode (Getting to safe-mode) Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip remember to extract the contents of the zip file into the same folder as Sysclean.com

or

DrWeb CureIT

or

KASFX which is powered by the Kaspersky AV engine, you will need internet access to update it. If you haven't got net access in safe mode, update it before you use it.

If your good with the command line also try Sophos Command Line scanner this command will scan all of your hdd's SAV32CLI.EXE -F -di -remove -dn -mbr -all -zip -p=avscanlog.txt and give you a log file to review afterwards.

Also try installing and running A2 Free and Ewido again run from safe mode.

I'd also run Spybot(Spybot Tutorial) and Adaware

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt" If your using Win9x just run it from safe mode the command line options aren't needed..

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

Generally, you can trust Moderators and members of the HJT team (all so identified) and members with a lot of posts, such as stidyup. The BC team generally reads almost every post, and if a reply is incorrect or questionable, will pull it for review or make a comment to steer the poster in the right direction.

There is a self-help removal tutorial for Spywarestrike here at BC:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40303/how-to-remove-spywarestrike/

You can trust these to instructions to work, since they have been thoroughly tested and are the work the more clever of the BC staff; you would never be asked to download a questionable program or application in the Tutorials or in the Self-help forum.

It is very wise to do some inquiry/ reseach about ANY application or program before you download it. Even programs with good sounding names can be rouge software or contain spyware. Generally, doing a web search for the application will quickly give you some idea of it's worth or of any problems associated with it, as will the sites with the download links. CNET, for example, is very careful about what they put into their download section to assure it does not contain spyware, etc..
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:10 AM

Hi again. Ok right I have now downloaded further products, such as "Spybot - Search & Destroy", have run "Housecall Anti Virus", downloaded McAfee AVERT Stinger, and now have ZoneLabs Zone Alarm protecting my computer. So I then set to work on the attempted removal process.

I downloaded the 'smitRem.exe' file. Extracted all contents and rebooted in Safe Mode. Basically I got to Step 6 of the 'How To Remove Spywarestrike, Self-Help Guide' as instructed to do.

Then however I was not able to open the RunThis.bat file. My computer does not seem to recognise which programme was used to create it. It instructed me to either 'Let internet search and find the programme' or 'Search myself' I tried both, clearly the internet couldn't find it and I too was unable to find it being a bit crap with computers and all. But am assuming you guys know how I could find this file right? Where should I be looking?

If you send me a quick email I would be only too happy to send you a screen shot I made of Step 6. when attempted on my computer. I tried to post it here, but don't know how or if I can, being simply a User and not an Administrator etc.

Thank you so much for your helps guys. Have already cleared some of my computer due to advice on which programmes and Firewalls etc to use.

Thanks again, Nick :thumbsup:

#5 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:37 AM

Ok right hopefully this should work:

Posted Image

Do any of you guys know how I get round this problem. I can't seem to click on the icon. If it's not possible, should I look at doing the more complete Spyware removal procedure mentioned somewhere. As this was only the SpywareStrike removal procedure I think. Although what difference would that make am still gonna need to use this smitRem at some point hey.

Oh am so confused.

Cheers guys, Nick

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

There is a wonderful reference available to check the trust worthiness of anti-spyware products and websites.

Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

BTW here are the findings regarding "Spyware Strike"

Product: SpywareStrike
Domain(s): spywarestrike.com
Comments: aggressive/deceptive advertising, desktop hijacking (1); uses inadequate scan/detection scheme; same app as AdwareDelete, AntiVirus Gold, & SpyAxe [A: 1-5-06 / U: 1-5-06]

Posted Image

#7 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:40 AM

Hi Scarlett, I don't seem to understand, was that post for me?

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:45 AM

Yes Nick, just some additional info I thought I'd share. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:54 AM

Right just to let you know, I think I ave successfully removed SpywareStrike. I don't know actually how but I downloaded all(!) of the Anti-Spyware programmes you guys suggested and basically without logging onto the net for a night, as heard that sometimes if you start up Internet Explorer, because the malware is located in there it puts the malware back on your computer (is that right?)

Well anyway left internet off for a night and ran all anti-spyware programmes long through the night then when woke up re-booted etc the SpywareStrike programme was no longer in my programme files, the desktop icon was gone and no longer receive these spyware notification messages 'apparantly' from Microsoft.

When I start my comp up ewido still picks up the odd virus, but seems to be able to delete them no probs as thus far (touch wood) my comp has been running fairly well. Well better than in a long time.

So basically just wanna give you all a massive :thumbsup: am majorly appreciative of the advice given!! Cheers, Nick

Edited by nick_kjaer, 12 February 2006 - 08:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users