Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting files off my Vista drives

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RickyD52

RickyD52

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

:crazy: Hey everyone! My Vista machine seems to have bitten the dust, and I need to get my pictures and stuff off the drives.All I have running right now is my XP machine, when I attempt to use it to get my stuff I get a little window asking me if I want to format.Is there any way I can get my stuff off of drives that were written by Vista and onto my XP machine? And thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

You need to slave the drive
http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/

#3 RickyD52

RickyD52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Alan, I should mention that my XP computer has the old type IDE hard drives while the drives I'm trying to get stuff off of are Sata.(2) internal drives and (1) Seagate external.I bought a SATA hard drive dock and have been trying to get it with a usb cable.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 11 Katya (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
  • Before using the internet (if you choose to use Puppy, for example) you may have to:
  • Configure/set up the internet connection
  • Download a favourite browser
    (With Linux Mint the foregoing should not be necessary.)
[/list]You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No itís not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. Itís Linux Mint.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 RickyD52

RickyD52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

Thanks inquisitor, but on the vista machine I am able to get no boot of any kind. No beeps, no trouble lights.The fans power on and that is it, I've tried boot discs,reseating everything, unhooking everything, new power supply, still nothing, no screen of any kind.That's why this is such a problem. I'm guessing either the motherboard or cpu went.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

The old computer may be using IDE type hard drives, but ... are there any SATA ports on the motherboard that you could use?

There is nothing special about hard drives or drives (disks/partitions) used by Vista: There is nothing about them that would normally preclude access when connected to a system running Windows XP and give you the message "asking me if I want to format".

Let me see if I understand:
You have two bare hard drives, and when you have either of them (one at a time if it is a twin dock) in a dock with a USB connection to the XP computer, you get the message "asking me if I want to format". You get the same message when only one hard drive is in the dock, no matter which hard drive it is. Is that correct?

The third hard drive is in an enclosure of its own (a typical external hard drive), and you are not using the dock that you use for the other two hard drives. Is that correct? And, you get the same message when you have that external hard drive connected to the XP computer. Is that also correct?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users