Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nic Burnt Up Or Isp Being Dumb?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mojomidget

mojomidget

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:50 AM

Okay...So i recently formatted my H/D reinstalled all my drivers (as acklan knows) and everything was fine......for a day.... then today as i was downloading spybot and adware SE. I get this spysheriff thing thatss starts eating my reasourses. It disabled my task manager. gave me an error everytime i tried to open IE. Anyways. I fixed that... did a system restore and it fixed...well i had to reinstall my usb driver and when i rebooted my internet was gone. I called me ISP (Bresnan Comm.) and they walked me through run>cmd>ipconfig /release and /renew blah blah I repaired my network connection in the control panel and it stopped responding...so she had me unplug my ethernet and install the drivers so i can use my usb modem. now... I don't like this because I use my USB for many things. One slot is using my wireless mouse and the other my internet...the drivers for my NIC are installed and working properly...she told me she had this problem before and couldn't figure it out. It's a RealTek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast ethernet NIC.
Any insight would be helpful thankyou!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

First what makes her believe it is a bad NIC if she could not figure it out?What appears in the Device Mangaer? Does it report working properly? Are you running a router, and if yes can your computer see the LAN?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mojomidget

mojomidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

In the deviice manager everything is fine. It shows my nic is working properly. And No I'm not running a router I was running ethernet straight from the modem to my pc. I tried rebooting today and reconnecting my etherent to my pc but still no luck.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:37 PM

Have you tried re-running MicroSoft's Network Setup Wizard?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users