Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help.. Just removed "System Fix"... I think

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 homegirl754

homegirl754

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

First of all, I'll admit I know next to nothing about computers but mine is in crisis. I recently found this forum after having "System Fix" attack my computer. I followed the forum on how to remove the software by using RKill. As soon as I downloaded RKill, System Fix seemed to be removed from my computer. Although I can't be sure. I am going to have to wait to download Malwarebytes until my next pay check.. is that crucial? All of my pictures and documents are gone, now.. and my start menu is empty. Should I be worried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Please don't worry, the fact that all of your pictures and documents appear to be missing is just part of the social engineering tactics used to freak you out as much as possible in order to get you to purchase their bogus software.

I'm positive that a member will respond to this post very shortly and get everything all fixed up for you. Also, on a side note, RKILL only stops the infection from running untill the next reboot, it itself doesn't remove the virus and Malwarebytes does offer a free version that you can download. A trained malware removal expert will be able to help you shortly and will post instructions on what steps to take to rid yourself of this infection.

Hang in there....it only gets easier from here.

#3 DVM2K

DVM2K

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

Don't worry files are still there. I just fixed my wife's computer with the same prob. You can downlaod the free version of Malware and get rid of the problem. If you restar your computer you will have to start over with the rkill again. So from the top. Run the rkill to stop the system fix, this will not get rid of it only stop it from taking over the computer. Then download the malwarebytes' anti-malware (MBAM) free. Make sure you then update the MBAM. Now run a scan of the entire computer. It will then remove the infected files. YOu will have removed system fix but your files will still be hidden. Download unhide.exe @ http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe. Run the unhide.exe program. This will take some time let it run. It won't look like it doing much but be patient it will work. If there are any system fix icon DO NOT doulble click them, Right click and delete them!!! You can do all this for free. However you may want to consider buying a virus protect and malware when you can afford to help prevent again in the future.

#4 homegirl754

homegirl754
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the help! Everything is back to normal. Whew!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users