Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP wont start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jericho380

jericho380

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hey Beepsters. I seem to be dropping in a lot...just not my month with computers I guess. My problem is with my Windows XP Media center edition. It is 2 gig ram with a 200 gig H/D. The other day I turned it on, and by the time it reached the choose selection screen which it always goes to first ( Start Windows XP media edition, enter recovery console..) I realized I didn't plug in my wireless keyboard and mouse usb. I plugged it in and waited for it to accept the usb so I could make my selection. (Start windows xp media) Waited a few minutes and still nothing. So, Being impatient, I did a "hard shut down." I plugged in my servicing key board and mouse and re-started. Now it will not get past the HP boot screen. I have no keyboard function or mouse function. Just stuck on the HP screen. Any Ideas? Tried with different keyboards and mouse combinations. I don't see the hard drive light blinking at all. This computer has never given me a problem before and is one of my favorites. I am leaning towards a ram problem but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

My first mode of attack would be to unplug the power to the tower and pull the CMOS battery. There is a chance that its a BIOS issue. Try that first and let us know how it works out. Keep in mind that after pulling the battery you will need to enter the BIOS setup and reset the date and time.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hard shutdowns are not advised, they tend to increase the chance of key system files being damaged.

What model HP system?

Louis

#4 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'll be back in front of that computer in 2 days time and let you know how the suggestion worked out and the model. I know it's Windows XP Media edition 2005 and was a computer built especially by HP for that OS. I have the first half of my Power engineering finals tonight and the 2nd half tomorrow night and by the time I get home, my head hits the pillow. Thanks for the quick replies! :thumbsup:
Funny thing about "The Blues", You can listen to them when your Happy, Sad, Angry, or just plain Blah. It's a non discriminating mood music. :) HP Pavilion a1600n Windows XP media edition 2 gigs ram 1TB with external hard drive. Or depends on which computer I plug in that day....

#5 jericho380

jericho380
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:35 PM

Well thanks for all your guys help :) won't be doing a hard shutdown like that anytime soon. I pulled the Battery, re-installed and reset the BIOS clock. Everything is now working. It is an HP Pavilion a1600n which I believe was built especially for WIN XP media edition as far as I can tell. I added a gig of ram to it as it only had 1 gig. When I got it from a recycle bin at work, all
I had to do to it was a restore to factory and wait for the updates. The reason for the restore was it was password protected by the company that put it in the recycle bin. Works great now, so again thanks for your help. Guess we can close this one now. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users