Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CD read/write issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:53 PM

My CD read/write unit isn't working. Whenever I insert a disc and try to open it using my Roxio Drag-to-disc software all I get is the odd scratching noise and a 'There is no disc in the recorder' message.

I've done a registry fix but that hasn't helped and trying to play anything at all, whether it be with the Roxio software or Windows Media Player reults in nothing but the 'no disc' message. In essence, a completely defunct and inoperative unit.

The unit is a Sony WDC WD2000JD-00HBBO and is now around six years old. Is it likely to be the unit which has reached the end of the line and needs replacing or should I try some other means of repair? And is a CD unit easy to replace?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2011 - 02:04 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lemonflavor90

lemonflavor90

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

it may just be better if you replace the whole drive itself...
here's a nice place that you can look through for a new drive
http://www.eio.com/c-382-cd-dvd-burners-media.aspx

the process of replacing a drive really isn't hard.
some of the brand computers may make it difficult for you to take things in and out of the case,
but theres always a way for you to take it all out
there may be some unscrewing you might have to do, so have a screw driver ready in hand.

once you get it out, make sure to plug in the right plugs into the right whole and you're set.

your computer should detect the drive.

once youre computer boots up, just install the driver and youre good to go! :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

<<Is it likely to be the unit which has reached the end of the line and needs replacing or should I try some other means of repair?>>

Who can say? I know of no way of estimating the useful life of any computer component that is mass-produced and sold by the millions.

I would try MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 as a first step.

Louis

#4 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for the speedy responses.

Louis, I downloaded and ran the 'Fix it' program and it came up with a 'Not fixed' result and the message 'Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable (SONY DVD RW DW-D22A)' But it was worth a shot so thanks for the link. And I'll remember to check out the M/S support site if I have any problems in the future.

Many thanks also to Lemonflavor90 for the EIO link and the reassurance about fitting a new drive unit.

Strange thing is that I tried several DVD's/CD's after the fix attempt and there was one - a CD-ROM game disc which opened every time but the rest just resulted in the 'No disc in drive' message. Which maybe suggests an intermittent fault and that I just got lucky with the game disc?

Anyway, I guess six years regular use isn't bad going so a new unit is probably the way to go. I think this Sony unit has the ability to read/write double sided discs but I've never had the need for the double sided facility (were those double sided discs ever popular?)

When I eventually find a replacement and (hopefully) succeed in solving the problem, I'll report back and let you know.

Thanks again to the both of you for your help and advice, I really appreciate it.

David

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

In all honesty...I've never had an optical drive for 6 years.

The capabilities keep changing, the prices keep dropping...and they are easy to replace.

Louis

#6 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Apologies for bumping this thread up the board but I've only just recently purchased a new RW drive to replace the faulty one mentioned in my OP.

Just to recap, the unit being replaced is a Sony DVD/CD rewrite unit DW-22A and I've purchased a Sony AD-7261S-0B 24x Internal DVDRWRAM SATA Black Lightscribe unit as a replacement.

The problem I encountered as soon as I took off the cover and checked out the wiring on the existing unit is that it has a whopping 39pin Interface Connecter from the MSI motherboard - but the new Sony unit doesn't have provision for this connector. The only input/s it has is for a joint Sata Power/Sata Data connector.

If it's of any help, the MSI interface connector from the motherboard first goes into the DVD player unit which sits below the faulty RW unit in the tower and then links into the faulty RW unit.

Have I purchased the wrong unit? Do I need one which has provision for the interface connector from the MSI motherboard? I get the feeling the unit isn't going to work correctly, if at all, without this significant IC cable being attached to it and I now need help on how to proceed.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

David

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

If your motherboard does not have a SATA port, It will look like the smaller of the two connectors on the back of the drive.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=8&gs_id=o&xhr=t&q=sata+connector&biw=1016&bih=583&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&wrapid=tljp1329582603031012&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=DNI_T46cGqHu0gHt6IzPBw

Then I would return it and get a IDE drive, This page will show you what types you need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=ide+dvdrw

Around where I am I can get them in a local computer store for $35 + Sales tax

I think this Sony unit has the ability to read/write double sided discs but I've never had the need for the double sided facility (were those double sided discs ever popular?)

I suspect that you mean dual layer not double sided. Double sided are scarce. To burn them you would burn side one and then flip them over in the drive.

Dual layer gives a 8.5Gb blank disc that can be burned with no flipping needed. a Double sided would be 4.7Gb times 2.

I actually have a couple of dual sided commercial discs.
One side is usually a Widescreen release and the other is a 4:3 Aspect ratio also known as full screen since it fills the screen on older non HD TV sets. They could also be movie on one side and extras on the other.

BTW that is called a 40 pin connector whether or not there are pins in all the locations.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 18 February 2012 - 11:32 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thankyou so much, Roger, for the speedy response.

After finding the connections to the different units were incompatible I realise now that my existing unit is an IDE and the one I've purchased is a SATA. I didn't understand the significance of the two different types and I suppose I assumed they'd be interchangeable which, of course, is not the case.

I'll check out the motherboard as you suggest to see if there's an appropriate SATA port. If not, then I'll follow your advice and return the SATA unit and seek out an IDE replacement.

I was interested to hear about your commercial, dual sided discs, something I've not heard of before and I know of no one else who's ever used them.

The 40 pin terminology has also been noted - excuse the lack of know how.

As soon as I have a new unit in place I'll report back to confirm the result.

Many thanks again, both for the help and the links.

Kind regards

David

#9 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Roger, I just called back to say that with your help I've managed to fix the problem. After closely inspecting the motherboard I found a couple of the SATA ports you mentioned.

The set up I have is a now fairly old Evesham Dominator Axis 64 which has an MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor. Fortunately the motherboard had the SATA ports negating the need to return the SATA unit and replace it with an original type IDE drive. And with the help of the link you kindly provided I eventually purchased a SATA Data Cable along with a SATA Power Adapter Cable and this has done the trick.

I realise that all this is baby step stuff to you but these forums are a precious resource in situations like this and it's great to know that guys like you are willing to give your time and superior knowledge to help resolve these troublesome issues.

Many thanks again for you help, Roger, I really appreciate it.

All the best to you.

David

Edited by The Boy David, 22 February 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

I'm glad to hear it is all working well.

Well Done

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users