Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade To Xp Without The Product Key

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gipster

gipster

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:05 AM

To make a long story short, I has having a really hard time with windows ME, so I decided to "upgrade" to windows xp. Problem is, I "upgraded" using the xp disc that came with my other computer. I figured that since I had the disc and the product key that this would work. With the help of a friend I completely erased ME and loaded xp. So far so good. Then I started getting notes from bill gates saying "30 days left to activate your windows xp" it occurred to me to check the MS web site to see what was involved in activation. Apparently, since I reused the disc, MS is not going to allow me to activate and continue to use the product. Ok fine - but I cant go back to ME. It's gone. And I dont have that disc. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:58 AM

Firstly , it is very wrong to do an upgrade this way. No way is this call an upgrade..it is REPLACE! :thumbsup:

Secondly, Bill gates dn send you these warnings, it is preprogrammed inside your OS. :flowers:

There is practically no solution to this probel m except to get hold of the exact CD key to solve this problem. Any other CD keys will not do for you.

you might need to go back to your vendor or check if there is any authentic microsfot cd keys around in your CD cover. :inlove:

If everything else fails, you can actually do a recovery from the recovery CDs that SHOULD come along with your computer machine. :trumpet:

GOOD LUCK.

ZENER[color=#000099]
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:21 AM

The CD you used, is it a OEM disk or a retail disk? Unless you want to use Linux Wine to run your windows application you will have to buy Windows operating system. You may want to look into Win2000 Pro instead. It takes up let resources than XP, but has the feel of ME/9x.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:59 AM

Easy fix - but a version of ME/2000/XP and install it on your computer - problem solved!

The Microsoft EULA only allows you to install the software on one system (for single user/system) - you'll have to pay a lot more for multiple users/system licenses.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:22 PM

Hello, First of all - since you made the change to Windows XP and now find you cannot use the key code on a second system and have to go back to Windows ME. Yuck what a choice Windows ME is terrible. The question is - Do you have the keycode for the origianl Windows ME? If not or if you do the one thing you have to do is - BACKUP all of your data to a CD or DVD. When going back Windows will not call this an upgrade and you more than likely will have to do a format and re-install. You do have to have a legal keycode but can use a copy of the Windows ME disk if you made a backup of that.

I would start checking E-Bay for anybody selling legal copies of Windows XP as quick as possible - I think you can get something for around $70.00

Remember to always read the Licensing Agreements on the software you install.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:31 PM

I wouldn't buy it on Ebay. An individual selling a Microsoft Op system on Ebay is likely selling a used copy and you would have no way to know until it was too late, (and therefore as worthless as what you now have installed).

You really need to buy it from a legitimate Microsoft software dealer (or directly from Microsoft) and you can find legitimate dealers on the net that offer discounted prices on legitimate software. One such authorized dealer is Newegg.com which has XP Home (OEM Version Full Install, SP2) for about $94. Another is tigerdirect.com. You may find it for less from other legitimate dealers.

I personally wouldn't buy XP Home as its product life cycle (which includes support and Critical Updates) is scheduled to end much sooner than XP Pro, therefore I would spend a few dollars more and get XP Pro instead. Additionally, Pro offers far better security and many other features that Home doesn't have.

If you wish, you can buy an additional license directly from Microsoft and they will assist you in validating it on your computer so you do not have to reinstall the op system should you wish to keep XP Home and not get Pro instead.

What you did by installing Windows XP (or any other software for that matter although some aps - but not any for op systems to my knowledge- are valid on a second computer owned by the same party - read the EULAs involved) on a second computer without having a license for it is called piracy and you broke Federal law by doing so. Hopefully you have learned a valuable lesson.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 February 2006 - 10:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users