Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Processes Continously Open Halting Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 solarfog

solarfog

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

I have had this problem for awhile and have always been able to live with it as it only would affect my ability to watch large flash videos streaming on the internet. However, since I got a nasty virus and had to reinstall Windows (XP Home SP2), the second I plug in my wireless adapter (Belkin F6D4050 v1 Enhanced USB Adapter) and connect to the network ipconfig.exe, arp.exe and nbtstat.exe start running with a new process bearing the same name adding to the total amount of processes every so often and thusly slowing the computer to a halt. This is an old computer (Dell Dimension 2400) and I have already upgraded it to 2 GB of RAM which is the most that I am told I can have. My guess is that I need to start a particular service to keep this from getting out of hand as that is a common problem on this computer (Windows loads with only 22 processes and I have to turn on Windows Audio and DHCP Client services each time I start up despite that I implement them to start automatically). If there is anyway I can still use this computer to connect to my network and the internet without having to buy anything new I would very much like to know, thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2011 - 08:08 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

First thing I would do is download Windows XP SP3 and see if that makes a difference.

#3 solarfog

solarfog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Oh yeah! I did that already and got the following message when trying to install SP3 and even when I turned on the mentioned service I still get this message: Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer.

Also when I tried to fix the problem both with the Fix-it program and on my own (as instructed here) I still end up with the above error.

Error dialogue seems to be turning off Cryptographic service as soon as the message appears.

Error dialogue appears during the inspecting-current-configurations portion of the SP3 installation.

The Fix-it program actually says: This Microsoft Fix it failed to process.

Edited by solarfog, 30 November 2011 - 12:06 PM.

#4 solarfog

solarfog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Can anyone help me without going through a sp3 update?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

To receive support from ms you will need sp3 installed

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:08 AM

<<...ipconfig.exe, arp.exe and nbtstat.exe start running with a new process bearing the same name adding to the total amount of processes every so often and thusly slowing the computer to a halt>>

Sounds like a possible infection to me, if the system really stops...and all is related to Internet connectivity. Looking at the processes you listed...the fact that you are not adequately protected...and the reported behavior, I will move this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users