Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop is Blank

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas61

Thomas61

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

After a restart from an unexpected shutdown that gave me the blue screen of death, my desktop is missing all of its shortcuts with the icons including the recycle bin. Right clicking on a programs exe. file and having it send a shortcut to the desktop doesn't restore the shortcut icon. So, my desktop is simply blank.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this matter.

Sincerely,

Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 amstadaM

amstadaM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

Try these steps.

1. Right click the desktop
2. Select View ~> Show Desktop Icon
3. Make sure the option is checked

Did you install any new software recently?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - A. Einstein

#3 Thomas61

Thomas61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Many thanks amstadaM! Your solution worked like a charm. What happened is when the computer shut down with the BSOD, it switched from showing "desktop ions" to "desktop gadgets." This type of switching during BSOD shutdowns has been a problem with this computer but it has never before affected my desktop. Most commonly, it has changed the drive to boot from. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Thomas

#4 amstadaM

amstadaM

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

No worries. Glad everything is working correctly!! :thumbsup:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - A. Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users