Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Install Freeze

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 W4ZZK

W4ZZK

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

Hi all
First post on BComp...
I am installing Windows 7 clean into a custom built PC...Intel mobo, P4 1.5 GHz Chip, 2GB Ram, 320GB PATA HDD.

I get as far as 'Completing Installation' or something of that nature (the last step), and it will hang up...freeze.
I have tried other suggestions (removing all USB devices, Disabling USB, Updating BIOS, Removing all non-essential cards/devices, Command Prompt commands, lowering/changing RAM,netc) with no luck. The only thing that I believe is left is trying a different Graphics card. I wonder what your ideas are?

Getting in a bad way here.
Awaiting your ideas... Josh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:05 AM

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (available at HD manufacturer website) before attempting an install on any hard drive that is not brand new.

What is the origin of the media...you are using for your attempted install? MS DVD...Dell DVD...etc.?

Louis

#3 W4ZZK

W4ZZK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (available at HD manufacturer website) before attempting an install on any hard drive that is not brand new.

What is the origin of the media...you are using for your attempted install? MS DVD...Dell DVD...etc.?

Louis

It is actually a BRAND NEW HDD.
Installing from MS DVD.

#4 W4ZZK

W4ZZK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

OK, good news. Found that the Video Card was causing the issue. Went and picked up a card in town, put it in, and the installation finished. My suggestion to those with this issue... make sure you have BARE ESSENTIALS installed DURING INSTALLATION. With BARE, I mean GFX, & Keys and Mouse.
Them be sure that there are Windows 7 drivers available for your equipment. RUN THE "WILL WINDOWS 7 WORK ON MY MACHINE?" Test!

Thanks for all help...

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Nice work, thanks for letting us know your resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users